Two years ago, my mom gifted me a facial for my birthday. I did not really know what to think, I was still the girl who splashed water on her face at night and slept with eye makeup on! I had never really paid attention to my skin — I had been blessed with good skin for the most part and never really had to worry. Well, let me tell you, it was AHmazing. Not only was it so relaxing, but also very informative! She told me all about the importance of taking care of my skin.
So began my skin care routine.
Being the crunchy mama that I am, I did not want to buy a ton of the “product” that she recommended to me. I mean, check out the ingredients lists on those pretty bottles! Yikes!!! So, I started investigating different natural companies. That has been an ongoing journey of discovery, so I started a Safe Skin Care Facebook group where we discuss removing the toxins from our skincare and making safer choices. I invite you to join thousands of others in the conversations HERE.
Now I was on the path to having my makeup figured out, but how about those expensive face creams? I decided to try making my own!
Then I got into essential oils. Wow, that took things to a whole new level! My favorite oil to use on my face is Frankincense. Naturally, I had to come up with a skin cream that included it… Frankincense face cream!
A little bit about the other oils I chose, and why I chose them…
- Cocoa butter: improves skin tone and elasticity
- Coconut oil: promotes collagen production and heals damaged skin
- Jojoba oil: anti-inflammatory and has been shown to reduce the signs of aging
- Sweet almond oil: reduces scarring, smoothes and rejuvenates skin
Note: this recipe makes about 1 cup of face cream. I divide it between 2 jars and store one in the fridge for later. If you only want a small amount, then divide the recipe in two.
Frankincense Face Cream
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter — where to find
- 1/4 cup coconut oil — where to find
- 2 Tbsp jojoba oil — where to find
- 2 Tbsp sweet almond oil — where to find
- 40 drops Frankincense essential oil
- In a double boiler, melt the cocoa butter
- Combine melted cocoa butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and almond oil in a mixing bowl (I use the bowl from my kitchen aid mixer)
- Place the bowl into your fridge until it starts to harden
- Once it is cooled and hardened, put the bowl under your stand mixer, or use your hand mixer to whip it up
- Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and whip some more. I scrape and whip several times to get it all well combined
- Whip until nice and fluffy, then add in the Frankincense and whip until combined
- Store Frankincense Face Cream in the glass jar, or transfer to any container you desire. I use these or these (you can also find some really cute bottles and jars HERE)
- Apply Frankincense Face Cream to skin as needed for moisturizing, I use it morning and night. You only need a small amount to cover your face, if you use too much it will be greasy. A little bit goes a long way!
- I store mine in the fridge in the warmer months to keep it cool. Its very refreshing to apply a cool cream in the summer!
UPDATE: I used to sell this cream on Etsy and would always sell out within an hour of listing it! I have since quit selling it, but I get regular requests to start back up. I don’t have time to fit that back into my schedule at this time, but a blogger friend of mine makes a great tallow cream using essential oils. It is almost identical in texture and results in this Frankincense Face Cream. So, if you don’t want to make your own and would rather buy it, check out her page HERE.
Watch the video recipe below