Working as a Nurse, I wash my hands about 497 times a shift. No kidding! I am not a big fan of that chemical-filled foam cleaner that they recommend we use. No thank you! Plus all the hand washing causes my knuckles to dry and crack — lets add a little alcohol foam to that. OUCH! So, I decided to come up with a little trick to both moisturize and disinfect my hands. Antibacterial lotion bars!
A little info on why these lotion bars work:
- Beeswax and shea butter provide the skin protectant and moisturizer (so does the coconut oil, but that has even more good points)
- Coconut oil: Monolaurin, an ingredient in coconut oil, is what gives it antibacterial and anti-fungal properties!
Antibacterial Moisturizing Lotion Bars
- 1/4 cup shea butter — this is my favorite kind
- 1/4 cup beeswax — where to find
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Essential oils of your choice (to make these lotion bars smell amazing!) — we only use therapeutic grade essential oils in our home, you can find them HERE
This is a GREAT brand of Shea Butter, it is so easy to work with! When I ordered from Amazon, they even sent a free ebook filled with recipes to make with your shea butter. Awesome!
- In a double boiler, combine the first three ingredients and melt together
- Pour into molds — HERE is where you can find the heart molds
- Allow to cool a bit, but not harden, and then add in the essential oils of your choice. I typically use Lavender, Frankincense, Geranium, or Joy!
- Use as needed for moisturizing and disinfecting
I either pour it into a small glass container (like this) to carry with me at work or I keep a bar in my work bag. A great carrying case for your lotion bars is one of these travel soap containers, works well so they don’t get smashed in your bag!
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE 21-day essential oil email class, to learn the basics.
- Join my Real Food RN Essential Oils Facebook Group to connect with others and share tips and recipes for DIY, beauty, cleaning and much more.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail prices (and get freebies from me!)
CLICK HERE to Pin this post
Disclaimer: None of these health benefits have been evaluated or approved by the FDA. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.