I am absolutely loving essential oils, and I am especially loving using them in my homemade cleaning products! What could be better than adding a little lavender to my homemade multipurpose cleaner so it not only cleans my house, but also provides a relaxing aroma. Now housework is actually enjoyable. Citrus cleaner is something I have been making for a few years now using simply citrus peels and vinegar. It seriously saves you money on household cleaners, and in my opinion it does a way better job than anything I have purchased at the store! First, why is this cleaner such an effective homemade multipurpose cleaner?
- Lemon masks the vinegar smell so you get the cleaning power of vinegar and the fresh citrus scent of lemons
- Lemon is a degreaser so it helps remove grease from surfaces (works particularly well on greasy fingerprints that are left all over the house!)
- Lavender is uplifting, so it makes house work seem not so bad after-all
- Vinegar is a multipurpose cleaner, degreaser, polisher, and so much more
- Vinegar makes your surfaces shiny (when we first got granite counter tops I was told by the store clerk to clean them with Windex to keep them shiny, I loved how well it worked but hated the chemical smell. Well, vinegar cleaner works just as well and is chemical free!)
Lemon Lavender Homemade Multipurpose Cleaner
What you will need:
- white vinegar — where to find
- organic lemon peels, enough to fill a large mason jar 3/4 full
- lavender essential oil — I only use these oils
- 1 glass mason jar
- 1 glass spray bottle (I reuse these bottles and add a spray top)
- Add your lemon peels to the glass jar until it is about 3/4 full
- Pour vinegar over peels until the jar is almost full
- Screw lid on jar and place in a cupboard or dark room for a few weeks
- Strain peels through a mesh strainer
- Add lemon vinegar back to jar and add 30 drops of lavender essential oil
- In glass spray bottle, add 1 cup lemon lavender vinegar and 2 cups filtered water (I store the remaining vinegar in the fridge for future use)
- Screw spray nozzle onto jar and use your homemade multipurpose cleaner to clean away!
*Note: As I indicated above, I only use essential oils that are therapeutic grade in my household cleaning products, recipes and personal care. It is very important to me that I know the quality of my oils because I use them on surfaces my kids touch and I do not want to put my children at risk. If you are new to using essential oils, I recommend you GO HERE to find out more.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE 21-day essential oil email class, to learn the basics.
- Join my Real Food RN Essential Oils Facebook Group to connect with others and share tips and recipes for DIY, beauty, cleaning and much more.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail prices (and get freebies from me!)