I love experimenting with making my own self-care products. Most recently I just threw a few ingredients together and made a homemade facial scrub. I washed my face with it every night and really fell in love with my new creation. It makes your skin feel so clean and soft!
Let me tell you a bit about what I threw into this scrub and why it works so well…
Baking soda: I just decided on baking soda because I wanted to add an exfoliant to my cleanser that was gentle, yet effective. Turns out that baking soda also helps with other skin problems…
“Baking soda is amphoteric which means that it has the ability to either act as a base or acid. This characteristic makes it a useful pH neutralizing chemical compound. It corrects the pH imbalance of the skin that contributes to acne formation. What’s more, baking soda has mild anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that enable it to lessen the irritation caused by inflamed acne. Most importantly, baking soda has individual particles that are rounded and hard and also form fine powders thus making it a mild exfoliate.” (source)
Coconut Oil: I use coconut oil to moisturize my skin and I am very familiar with the oil cleansing method, so naturally I wanted to include it in my new creation. Coconut oil has so many benefits! The medium chain fatty acids coconut oil contains have anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties to fight all the bad guys that live on the surface of your skin. It is also moisturizing and loaded with antioxidants so it nourishes your skin!
Melaleuca Alternnifolia Essential Oil: it reduces the appearance of blemishes on your skin
Acne Fighting Homemade Facial Scrub
- 1/2 cup coconut oil — where to find
- 1/2 cup baking soda — I buy it in bulk here
- 20 – 30 drops Melaleuca Alternifolia Essential Oil — I only use therapeutic grade essential oils on my skin, you can find them HERE
- Mix ingredients together into a paste
- Store in a glass jar
- Use nightly to remove makeup and cleanse your skin, just grab about 1 tsp of your homemade facial scrub out with your clean fingers and massage onto your face
- Use warm water to wash it away
- I follow with my Frankincense Face Cream as a moisturizer
Note from a reader: if you have sensitive skin and your face is red after washing with this, simply add 1/4 tsp olive or jojoba oil to the mix an it will take care of that! Awesome!
Don’t forget to use a great Non-toxic Makeup too! If you are making a non-toxic homemade facial scrub, then you don’t want to put toxic chemicals onto your skin during the day!
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE 21-day essential oil email class, to learn the basics.
- Join my Real Food RN Essential Oils Facebook Group to connect with others and share tips and recipes for DIY, beauty, cleaning and much more.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail prices (and get freebies from me!)
CLICK HERE to Pin this post