Spending a fortune on a bunch of synthetic chemicals to use in your skincare routine has never made sense to me. This is a big reason why I love making my own DIY skincare creams and cleansers.
Mother Nature is the other reason why I like to make my own, she just gets things right in so many ways. A few simple ingredients that are completely natural can have the same effects as their chemical competitors, with a much much lower price tag. So after making my own Acne Fighting Facial Scrub, and Frankincense Face Cream, the next thing I needed to create was a DIY Facial Toner.
DIY Facial Toner
A little bit about the benefits of this toner:
Apple Cider Vinegar:
- ACV contains powerful alpha hydroxy acids to help remove dead skin cells and reveal a fresher and healthier complexion underneath them. Many expensive commercial face washes bang on about the tiny amounts of alpha hydroxy acids they’ve added to their products, but ACV is full of far higher levels, of which are alive and ready to revive your skin. The ‘natural’ ingredients in commercial face products are actually dead and useless by the time they are processed and bottled up.
- During the creation of ACV, substances such as malic acid are formed, which give ACV antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties which help prevent acne and skin infections.
- ACV’s natural goodness also unblocks pores and allows skin to breathe properly, so it is very effective in treating acne and pimples.
- AVC doesn’t just effectively remove excess oil from your skin, it also helps to balance pH levels and can prevent your skin from becoming too oily or too dry by balancing the production of sebum. This is particularly important if you use my facial cleanser that contains baking soda (which is basic in pH), because it helps to balance the pH
- There are several key attributes to ACV for maintaining beautiful skin, and exfoliation is one of them. Exfoliating is a key element for keeping youthful healthy skin. There are several ways to exfoliate, and one of them is by “digesting” dead skin cells, which the acids in ACV do
- A natural astringent that can help with acne control by reducing inflammation and decreasing oil
- Witch hazel is known to tighten skin which can help de-puff or reduce under eye puffiness
- The tannins in witch hazel are known to constrict blood vessels, as well as reduce inflammation and swelling
- Witch hazel also helps tighten pores so you can reduce the size of your pores for a smoother appearance
- One of the little known but effective witch hazel benefits is that it helps ease symptoms of eczema and psoriasis. Witch hazel has anti-inflammatory properties and will help ease the pain, itching, redness and scarring that’s commonly associated with eczema and psoriasis
- Aloe moisturizes the skin without giving it a greasy feel, so it`s perfect for anyone with an oily skin complexion. For women who use mineral-based make-up, aloe vera acts as a moisturizer and is great for the face prior to the application to prevents skin drying
- Aloe vera gel contains two hormones: Auxin and Gibberellins. These two hormones provide wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce skin inflammation. Giberellin in aloe vera acts as a growth hormone stimulating the growth of new cells. It also contains Glucomannan, which increases collagen synthesis
- Aloe is soothing and can reduce skin inflammations, blistering and itchiness, while helping the skin to heal more rapidly.
- Aloe has traditionally been used to heal chronic skin problems, such as psoriasis, acne and eczema.
Note: make sure you do a test of the toner to a small patch of skin first. Some people are more sensitive to apple cider vinegar and its acidity. If you have sensitive skin, test it first. If you react to it, then add more witch hazel to the mix. Play around with the proportions until you find the right amount for your skin type.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar — where to find
- 1/4 cup organic witch hazel — where to find
- 2 tsp aloe vera — where to find
- Mix the vinegar, witch hazel, and aloe in a dropper bottle
- Apply to your face as needed
- I use it every night after I wash my face with my Acne Fighting Facial Cleanser. Then I apply my Frankincense Face Cream and my Caffeine Eye Serum
CLICK HERE to Pin this post