This recipe was created by a friend of mine who also happens to be one of my best friend's sisters. So I can personally vouch for how awesome she is and how great all of her creations are! She is a woman of many, many talents and I begged her to write this one up for me because I thought the idea was brilliant! I hope you enjoy it too…
Do you have extra Kombucha SCOBY's….make homemade dog treats! I don't know about you, but I have jars of SCOBY's in my refrigerator! If you have a dog make him/her some homemade SCOBY dog treats. They can be fed to pets, either fresh or by drying them into jerky.
Every week I make 2 gallons of Kombucha and my dog is always waiting by for a scrap to drop. He loves SCOBY's!
- Leftover SCOBY
- Grab a tray with a rack. The rack helps keep the SCOBY pieces from sticking to the tray.
- You will also want a clean cutting board and your leftover SCOBY’s.
- Cut each SCOBY into strips. The size of the strips depends on the size of your pet. I make mine on the 1/2"-1" in diameter side for my 25lb dog.
- Lay the SCOBY's flat on the rack and dry at 80°-‐90°F, until they reach the consistency of jerky.
- Cover with a cloth to keep the fruit flies and pests away.
- Give one to your dog, make sure the first time you give your pet a new type of treat that you watch them while they eat it (my dog likes to take treats and hide them around the house!).
*Note from Kate: I would personally use my dehydrator to make these because there is a door that covers them and no pests can get in. HERE is the dehydrator that I use and love, love, LOVE. But, if you do not have a dehydrator, you can use the oven as well. Want to read about another trick to use up extra SCOBY's? I use them in my garden!