We follow a Real Food diet in our household which means that we don’t eat all of the pre-packaged junk filled with artificial flavorings and colorings. However, I do not completely deprive my kids of all things junky. We do go trick-or-treating and my kids do get the store bought candy in their little pumpkin pails. Our rule is that they can have a few choice pieces of candy on Halloween night after they collect all of their loot….then the next day we bring the leftover candy in to work and donate it to our co-workers. The kids don’t feel deprived and we get to make our co-workers happy too! Win, win!
I am very big on educating my children about food and why some is good for us, while other kinds are not so good. I have really found success in this method because it allows my children to make educated decisions about their food choices, when it’s their decision they are much more likely to do it. My daughter has refused sugary treats many times on her own free will because “candy makes me sick”….I did not force her to say that, I just gave her the facts and she made her own choice. This year I gave her another option: “Do you want healthy Halloween treats or Halloween candy?” She chose healthy Halloween treats. Victory! This sent me on a mission to find some good ones. So here is the list:
First let me start with some of my own healthy candy alternatives….
- Real Fruit Snacks
- Kombucha Fruit Gummies
- Paleo Chocolate Truffles
- Caramel Fudge
- Feed the Monster Cookies!
- Healthy Buttermints
*get your cute candy molds HERE
Now for the goodies that I found in the blogosphere….
- Butter Buttons. Replace candy with good fat! by The Elliott Homestead
- Coconut Almond Candy Bars by Food Renegade
- Three Ingredient Maple Pecan Candies by Homemade Mommy
- Sesame-Honey Candy by Nourished Kitchen
- Honey-Sweetened GAPS Peanut Butter Cups by Our Nourishing Roots
- Homemade Cracker Jacks by Our Nourishing Roots
- Sour Gummy Stars by Mommypotamus
- Cranberry-Orange Coconut Candy by Coconut Mama
- (“Healthier-than-Caramel”) Candy Apple Dip Recipe by Completely Nourished
- Pumpkin Spiced Caramel by Real Food Outlaws
- Chocolate Truffles by Homemade Mommy
- Chocolate Coconut Squares by Coconut Mama
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Toffee by Coconut Mama
- Homemade Dairy Free Chocolate Bars by Healy Real Food Vegetarian
- Dairy Free Healthy Homemade Chocolate Cups by Empowered Sustenance
- Chocolate “Caramel” Cups by Coconut Mama
- Coconut Oil Chocolate by Butter Believer
- Healthy Organic Peppermint Patties Recipe by Whole Lifestyle Nutrition
- GAPS chocolate drops by Gutsy
- Dark Chocolate Coconut Treats – Vegan, Gluten-free + Refined Sugar-Free by Tasty Yummies
- Pumpkin Caramel Chocolates by Real Food Outlaws
- Homemade Gummy Worms by Oh Lardy! (this one is really cool!)
- Coconut Cream Chocolate Fudge by Coconut Mama
- Paleo “Peanut Butter” Cups with Sunflower Seed Butter by Don’t Mess With Mam
- Healthy Homemade Mounds Candy by Coconut Mama
- Raw White Chocolate Candy (Sugar Free) by Coconut Mama
- Homemade Marshmallows by Coconut Mama
- Real Food Peanut Butter Chocolates by Real Food Outlaws
- Naturally Sweetened Chocolates by DIY Natural
I would like to give the disclaimer that although these recipes do not contain artificial colors and flavors they are still sweets. You should enjoy in moderation. Blood sugar regulation is a key to good health so eating sweets all day can only lead you one direction. Everything in moderation. Enjoy!!!