Doing a sugar detox is hard!
If you have ever done a sugar detox, then you know the first 3-5 days are pretty challenging. Like trade-your-children-for-chocolate challenging! Because I have an insufferable sweet tooth, I am pretty much cycling through sugar detoxes like it’s my job. Not that I binge on toxic processed sugar on the regular, but even raw honey can send me into a tailspin! Can you relate?
This might just be the reason why I have so many healthy treat recipes on my blog. I just whipped up a batch of my Healthy Hot Chocolate Squares as I was creating this recipe in my kitchen. Just in case this one did not work out, I would have something guaranteed delicious to fall back on. Well, the good news is that these turned out delicious, and are also kid approved! The peppermint was an addition at my daughter’s request and it really added a whole new level to the flavor!
No sugar, healthy fats, chocolate, and peppermint. Another healthy treat win: Healthy No Bake Chocolate Peppermint Bites!
But, it doesn’t end there. These treats are actually GOOD for you too! Let me tell you a little bit about why I used the ingredients that I did:
- Rich in lauric acid, which boosts immunity and destroys harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- Boosts your metabolism! Plus, it’s packed with healthy fats, so you feel full longer.
- Full of essential amino acids, calcium, and magnesium.
- Improves skin health
- Promotes younger, firmer skin
- Supports joint health
- Improves gut function and digestion
- Keeps excess inflammation in check
- Builds and restores muscle
- Supports a healthy metabolism
- Keeps appetite in check
- Promotes healthy brain function
- Promotes deeper sleep
- Basically, the same benefits as coconut butter mentioned above.
- Coconut oil contains unique saturated fats called medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs). These MCFAs contain lauric acid. The body converts lauric acid into monolaurin which is a monoglyceride compound. This compound exhibits antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal, and antifungal properties. Coconut oil is one of the only sources of lauric acid, other than breast milk. Lauric acid in breast milk protects newborns from infections and diseases. Additionally, MCFAs have been added to baby formula to mimic the protection of breast milk.
Healthy No Bake Chocolate Peppermint Bites
- 1 cup coconut butter — where to find
- 2/3 cup grass-fed collagen — buy it here and use coupon code REALFOOD for 10% off your entire order!
- 2 Tbsps coconut oil — buy it here and use the same coupon code mentioned above!
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder — where to find
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 15-20 drops liquid chocolate flavored Stevia — where to find
- 15-20 drops peppermint vitality essential oil* — where to find
- Pinch of salt
*Note: I only use therapeutic grade essential oils in my recipes, especially when my kids are eating them! The essential oils you find at the store often contain fillers and other non-essential oil ingredients. You always want them to be pure! Here is where we get our essential oils. They are truly therapeutic grade!
- Melt the coconut butter, in the jar, in a saucepan of warm water. Heat it until you can stir it easily. Be careful not to heat in boiling water because you could crack the glass!
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the coconut butter, collagen, coconut oil, cacao powder, and vanilla. Mix well
- Add in the Stevia, peppermint oil, and salt to taste
- Mix well and scoop into small candy molds
- Place molds into the fridge for at least an hour, or until set
- Pop chocolate peppermint bites out of molds and place into a Ziploc bag or any sealed container
- Store in the fridge. Makes approximately 2 dozen chocolate peppermint bites, depending on the size of your candy mold. Will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE 21-day essential oil email class, to learn the basics.
- Join my Real Food RN Essential Oils Facebook Group to connect with others and share tips and recipes for DIY, beauty, cleaning and much more.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail prices (and get freebies from me!)
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share with Google+