The saying goes: “As American as apple pie”…and this is true, but today we are going to be making a Polish version of this American apple pie. I am part Polish, and we have the most wonderful houseguest staying with us from Poland who showed me the way that she makes it back in her country. To say I was amazed at this recipe is an understatement. There are a few more steps than I was used to, but BELIEVE ME, it’s worth the effort. This pie is light, sweet, and oh so pretty! Of course I worked with her to make it grain free too! I hope you enjoy this Polish Grain Free Apple Pie!
Polish Grain Free Apple Pie
- 3 cups cassava flour — where to find
- 1/2 cup organic sugar — where to find
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 pastured eggs yolks
- 8 medium apples peeled
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 pastured egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups organic sugar — where to find
- pinch sea salt
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and egg yolks
- Using your hands, work the mixture into dough
- Form it into two balls, 3/4 of dough is one ball and 1/4 of dough is the other ball. Wrap the smaller ball in saran wrap and place in the freeze. Wrap the larger ball in saran wrap and place in the fridge for 10 minutes
- While the dough is chilling, peel the apples
- Take the larger dough ball out of the fridge
- Press the dough into a buttered pie dish (cassava flour does not roll out as well as when you make it with regular wheat flour, so I press it into the pan to make it easier). Cover it with saran wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
- While dough is chilling again, grate the apples using a cheese grater
- Place the shredded apples in a large cloth and squeeze out the juice
- Put apple shreds into a bowl and add cinnamon, lemon juice, and vanilla
- When dough is chilled, bake at 350° for 40 minutes
- Next, whip the egg whites using a hand mixer, with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form
- Then add 1 1/2 cup sugar slowly until its nice and shiny egg whites — meringue
- Tip: the meringue is done when you can flip the bowl without it falling out!
Lick those beaters!
- Chill the meringue in the bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes
- Spoon the apple filling into the pre-baked crust, then top with meringue, finally take the small ball of dough out of the freezer and grate it on top of the meringue using a cheese grater (you will probably not need all the dough)
- Put back into the oven and bake at 450° for 30 minutes until nice and brown on top
- Enjoy every last bite of your Polish grain free apple pie because it’s deeeeelish!
- Store your Polish grain free apple pie in the fridge, lasts for three days
My kids LOVE this pie! Thanks Magda!!
CLICK HERE to Pin this post
CLICK HERE to share “Grain Free Polish Apple Pie” on Google+