If you have followed my blog for a little while then you know I like recipes that taste goooood, and that are also healthy! It is always my intention to take the flavor that I love and tweak it to also support your body! Well, why not start the day with a nutritional boost that tastes like brownies! Enter: my Brownie Batter Smoothie! Oh yeah, it’s real good! Plus, I have included some ingredient variations, because I also switch it up depending on what I want to enjoy in the early morning hours.
Let me preface this with the fact that this is not intended to be a complete meal replacement. I believe that you need to eat real food in the form of meals throughout the day. That being said, I have made
First, a little info on the ingredients and WHY they are healthy
- Protein powder is a great highly absorbable form of amino acids. They are great to take post-workout to aid in muscle recovery. That’s why I make my protein powder smoothie in the morning, after my run!
- We go between two different protein powders as our favorites. They both taste AHmazing, and have different benefits. One of them also happens to be a vegan option, we use that one during our cleanses.
- The first one is a chocolate bone broth protein powder. We love this one because it supports joints, skin, muscles, and digestion. It also reduces visible signs of wrinkles & aging! #winning
- The second protein powder we use is one that I have personally taken for YEARS! I have gone back and forth on whether or not I like whey protein. There are so many articles out there in favor and in opposition. When I finally found the most perfect, pristine, grass-fed, hormone-free, rBGH-free, non-denatured whey out there it was EXPENSIVE! So, I continued to stick with what worked for me. My favorite plant-based protein powder is a vegan, soy-free, dairy-free, raw, superfood protein powder. It really dissolves well and has a great flavor. It’s the protein powder that I always go back to after I try a new one that ends up not working out.
- Collagen has a ton of benefits! I personally notice the biggest benefits in my hair, skin and nails! It’s almost immediate!! Here is a short list of the other benefits of taking collagen: supports joint health, improves gut function and digestion, keeps excess inflammation in check, builds and restores muscle, supports a healthy metabolism, keeps appetite in check, promotes healthy brain function, and promotes deeper sleep. Pretty awesome, huh?!
- We have done our homework on this one and finally found a collagen that is grass-fed, hydrolyzed, highly bioavailable, tasteless (this is a BIG deal, it can taste awful!), odorless, and non-GMO. So, now I buy the stuff three containers at a time! It’s fabulous!
- I like to take a greens powder to fill any nutritional holes in my diet for the day. I am in NO WAY saying that taking a greens powder will replace eating actual fruits and vegetables! You should always include real fruits and vegetables in your diet, every day. Always.
- I have tried every greens powder out there, seriously! They send them to me in the mail. So many of them are gritty, or have an off flavor. Again, there is a greens powder that I have taken for years, per a recommendation of my very knowledgeable chiropractor, and I always go back to this greens powder after the others have failed to meet our standards. So, I’m sticking with what works, and what also tastes great!
- Do not confuse this with coco powder, the sugary stuff you find in the store. Nope, this is not Nestle Quik. Sorry, I grew up loving that stuff too. Real cacao powder is a superfood!
- Here’s why this stuff is awesomesauce: it contains magnesium, and other essential minerals such as calcium, sulfur, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, and manganese. As well as polyphenols, antioxidant-rich flavonoids, and vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, C, E. Raw cacao powder contains more than 300 different chemical compounds and nearly four times the antioxidant power of your average dark chocolate – more than 20 times than that of blueberries!
- It contains Phenethylamine (PEA). Large doses of this compound are said to be released into the brain when we’re attracted to someone. Studies have shown that chocolate affects your emotions and mood by raising serotonin levels. It also contains theobromine, a mild stimulant sometimes used as a treatment for depression. It releases the compound anandamide, which produces uniquely euphoric feelings of relaxation and contentment. (source)
- Yep, chocolate really is amazing! You just have to make sure it’s the right kind: raw, unprocessed, no sugar added.
Quick & Easy Healthy Brownie Batter Smoothie
- 1 scoop protein powder — this one, or this one
- 1 scoop grass-fed collagen — we use this kind (use coupon code REALFOOD for 10% off your entire order!)
- 1 scoop greens powder — this one is my favorite
- 1 tsp cacao powder — where to find
- 5 drops chocolate stevia — where to find
- Additional (optional ingredients): my favorite mushroom coffee powder (to make it a mocha), cinnamon, avocado (to make it really thick), cacao nibs, moringa powder, frozen berries. I add all of these at different times, depending on what I am in the mood for that particular morning. Use the coupon code “REALFOODRN” to get 10% off your order
- In a high-power blender or Bullet blender (my personal preference for single serving smoothies) add protein powder, collagen, greens powder, cacao powder, and stevia (and any additional ingredients that you want)
- Add in 1 cup ice and 1 cup water
- Add more ice and water and continue to blend, to your desired thickness
- Enjoy your brownie batter smoothie right away!
If you want to get your hands on more healthy smoothie recipes, I encourage you to check out this recipe collection “99 Weight Loss Smoothie Recipes“. They are backed by science and are pretty awesome! Plus, the books is FREE!
Please come back here and tell me how much you LOVE this brownie batter smoothie! I would love to hear about it in the comments below!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HEREE to share “Quick & Easy Healthy Brownie Batter Smoothie” on Google+