If you are from Minnesota, then you know how much we LOVE our fried cheese curds! These are one indulgence that I always allow at the fair in the summer! So I had to recreate them in my kitchen. I used fresh mozzarella to make these delicious gluten-free fried cheese bites. They are coated in a gluten-free batter, then cooked very quickly in hot oil and turn out crispy with an oozy filling.
Pro tip: Do not overcrowd the pan when frying. The pieces may stick together and tear apart. Rather work in three or four batches and be sure to place the cooked ones on kitchen paper to drain off excess grease.
Serve with spicy ketchup (not included in macros) and be sure to make enough because the whole family will love these. The macros have been calculated that the recipe below will serve two people as a generous snack or appetizer, but if you feel the calorie count is too high, share it between a third or fourth person (if you can!)
Serve with spicy ketchup and be sure to make enough because the whole family will love these.
- 8.8 oz fresh mozzarella or regular old cheese curds
- 2.3 oz whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 TB gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Generous pinch salt
- Oil, for deep-frying (we like to use avocado oil or coconut oil)
- Spicy ketchup dip, to serve (optional)
- Chop the mozzarella into large chunks, then lay on kitchen paper to drain well.
- Whisk together the milk and egg in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, baking powder, dried oregano and salt.
- Add the flour mix into the egg and whisk well, ensuring there are no lumps. Add the diced mozzarella to the mix and set aside.
- Heat a deep pan of oil (avocado or coconut). Add the cheese chunks to the oil, allowing the excess batter to run off before placing in the hot oil. Cook until golden (approx. 1 min), and remove using a slotted spoon, setting aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper. (Cook the cheese in three or four batches to avoid the pan overcrowding and the cheese pieces sticking together.)
- Serve immediately with a spicy ketchup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 580Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1,080mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g