Every now and then (or every 5 minutes!) I get a chocolate craving! I love chocolate, and even though there are antioxidants in the real dark chocolate, it’s still high in sugar. Sugar creates lots of inflammation in the body.
I have been trying to come up with some recipes that satisfy the sweet tooth, provide the antioxidant levels of dark chocolate, and have a lower sugar content. So I threw together this recipe with cocoa powder and honey! Plus, you also get the medicinal benefits of raw honey.
The coconut oil is full of healthy fats and the gelatin is good for your hair, nails, and gut lining. I think this recipe sounds pretty darn healthy! Don’t you? Just try not to eat the whole pan right away! I named them healthy hot chocolate squares because they seriously taste like hot chocolate!
Healthy Hot Chocolate Squares
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 Tbsp gelatin — where to find
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder — where to find
- 1/2 cup coconut milk powder — where to find
- 1 cup coconut oil — where to find
- 1/3 cup raw honey (here is how to melt it and retain its benefits)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- additional coconut oil for greasing baking dish
- Optional: sometimes I like to give my chocolate treats a mocha flavor. When I do this, I just add one packet of my favorite coffee to the mix. This stuff is a super healthy mushroom coffee, so it makes the chocolate treat a healthy mocha treat! You can find it HERE and you can use the coupon code “REALFOODRN” to get 10% off your order.
- Grease a glass baking dish with coconut oil and set aside
- In a small saucepan, boil 1 1/4 cups water
- Then, in a high-powered blender, add the gelatin and 1/2 cold water
- Allow it to sit and “bloom” for a few minutes — that’s fancy talk for allowing it to gel
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients to the blender (including the boiling water)
Note: I LOVE coconut milk powder and think these are the most delicious with half coconut milk powder and half cocoa powder. If you would like, you can use only cocoa powder for a really chocolatey hot chocolate square. I add the coconut first and top off with the cocoa…
- Blend until liquefied
- Pour into your greased baking dish
- Place into your fridge until set
- Slice into cubes and enjoy your Healthy Hot Chocolate Squares
- I store mine cut up in a plastic bag for easy access, they last up to one week in the fridge
- Makes about 25 one inch Healthy Hot Chocolate Squares
Watch the video recipe below
CLICK HERE to Pin this post