Ever since we gave up gluten and most grains, I have LONGED FOR cream of wheat. I grew up eating it and loved the warm creamy texture, especially when topped with butter and honey! I have tried the gluten free quinoa hot cereals, the ground up oatmeal with a creamy texture, the rice hot cereals…..none of them were as satisfying as good ‘ol cream of wheat. Until now! I made this no-oatmeal using pecans because I think they have a really nutty, mild flavor. The flax and the chia seeds give the cereal a gel that creates the creamy texture I was craving. Add in some butter, cinnamon, and raisins and OMG — its really good!
- 2 cups pecans — you can save money if you buy them in bulk like this
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds — where to find
- pinch sea salt
- milk of choice
- toppings of choice
- Place first four ingredients into a high-powered blender or food processor and process/pulse until ground (be careful not to overdo it, or you will get pecan butter!)
- Place into a glass jar to store in the fridge
- When you want to make the hot cereal, just heat up 1 cup of your favorite milk (we use raw milk, but you can certainly use non-dairy milks) and add 3/4-1 cup of the mixture, depending on how thick you want your no-oatmeal
- Heat over medium heat in a saucepan on the stovetop, stirring continuously until it begins to thicken
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for about 5 more minutes, it will thicken up even more
- Makes about 2 1/2 cups of prepared hot cereal, it thickens and expands
- Stir in your favorite toppings, we prefer grass-fed butter and raisins! We also add in homemade granola and spices too!
P.S. If you want to find the best gluten free items online (best prices around, believe me I have checked!) with free shipping, I highly recommend Thrive Market, they even have a special Gluten Free section. CLICK HERE to check them out!