Ever since we gave up gluten and most grains, I have LONGED FOR cream of wheat. I grew up eating it and loved the warm creamy texture, especially when topped with butter and honey!
I have tried the gluten-free quinoa hot cereals, the ground up oatmeal with a creamy texture, the rice hot cereals…..none of them were as satisfying as good ‘ole Cream of Wheat. Until now!
I made this no-oatmeal using pecans because I think they have a really nutty, mild flavor. The flax and the chia seeds give the cereal a gel that creates the creamy texture I was craving. Add in some butter, cinnamon, and raisins and OMG — it’s really good!
If you've gone gluten-free and have been missing Cream of Wheat for breakfast, then this recipe is for you!
- 2 cups pecans
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch sea salt
- Milk of choice
- Toppings of choice
1. Place first four ingredients into a high-powered blender or food processor and process/pulse until ground (be careful not to overdo it, or you will get pecan butter!).
2. Place into a glass jar to store in the fridge.
3. When you want to make the hot cereal, just heat up 1 cup of your favorite milk (we use raw milk, but you can certainly use non-dairy milks) and add 3/4-1 cup of the mixture, depending on how thick you want your no-oatmeal.
4. Heat over medium heat in a saucepan on the stovetop, stirring continuously until it begins to thicken.
5. Remove from heat and allow to sit for about 5 more minutes, it will thicken up even more.
6. Makes about 2 1/2 cups of prepared hot cereal, it thickens and expands.
7. Stir in your favorite toppings, we prefer grass-fed butter and raisins! We also add in homemade granola and spices too!
Make your own homemade granola here.
P.S. If you want to find the best gluten-free items online (best prices around, believe me, I have checked!) with free shipping, I highly recommend Thrive Market, they even have a special Gluten Free section. CLICK HERE to check them out!