This recipe was born of a brownie craving. After perusing various paleo brownie recipes online, I decided to make up my own using a mix of what I had read. My trick was to swap out a few ingredients and add in protein powder to make it a healthier version, while still satisfying that chocolate craving. What I ended up with was a most moist, fluffy and amazing paleo chocolate cake — not brownies! WOW! This one is going to be made for every birthday cake in our house. This recipe will make one 8×8″ cake. If you want to do a layer cake, I suggest doubling the recipe and using two round pans.
- 2 plantains
- 3 pastured eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted — we use this kind
- 1/4 cup raw honey — here is how to melt it
- 1/3 cup chocolate protein powder (we use this kind, but you can also substitute hemp protein)*
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling and snacking (we use this kind because they are gluten, soy and dairy free)
- Optional: sometimes I like to give my chocolate treats a mocha flavor. When I do this, I just add one packet of my favorite coffee to the mix. This stuff is a super healthy mushroom coffee, so it makes the chocolate treat a healthy mocha treat! You can find it HERE
*Note: if you want to omit the protein powder, then just use cocoa powder instead
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a food processor, combine everything but the chocolate chips and process until smooth
- Grease a glass baking dish, or brownie pan
- Add chocolate chips to the batter and stir until combined
- Pour into baking dish and sprinkle with more chocolate chips
- Eat the leftover chocolate chips, it’s okay I gave you permission!
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the center is not jiggly when you shake the pan
- Enjoy topped with homemade whipped cream (here is a great recipe!), dusted with cocoa, or drizzled with Paleo Ganache (here is another great recipe!)
P.S. If you want to find the best gluten free items online (best prices around, believe me I have checked!) with free shipping, I highly recommend Thrive Market, they even have a special Gluten Free section. CLICK HERE to check them out!