When I went to school at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition one of the first recipes we learned was called “Massage your kale salad.” We learned to make a salad by massaging our kale. Sounds strange, right? It’s anything but strange, it’s brilliant!
Have you ever just eaten a piece of kale? Not the most amazing snack in the world: kind of woody, unusual flavor. Well, add in some tasty toppings, a little dressing, and a brief massage and you will have something so delicious that you will bring it to every potluck you go to. I do. By request. Always!
Plus, Kale is a superfood that everyone should be eating. Just give this a read to find out why we love kale so much!
Want to get more kale into your diet? Then you must try my recipe. Just grab some kale, add in some tasty toppings, a little dressing, and a brief massage, and you will have something so delicious that it'll be requested.
- Remove ribs from the kale and roughly chop the leaves.
- Put the kale into a large salad bowl, like this.
- Put olive oil and balsamic vinegar into a jar, cover and shake it until they are well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the kale.
- Sprinkle in salt.
- Using your hands, massage the kale for about 1 minute to soften it a bit.
- Wash your hands.
- Toss in cranberries, blue cheese, and almonds.
- Serve immediately. I use these awesome salad tongs!
- This salad is actually really tasty the next day too if you have any leftovers.
- Bring this to every potluck you go to. It is always a crowd-pleaser. It’s the salad I bring along every time!
I did a demo of this salad on our local news station Twin Cities Live. You can watch the segment below