When we lived in Newport Beach, California, there was a cute little breakfast spot that served up a legendary sausage gravy. We would go to eat there and I would eat it like soup! I still crave it often, so I decided to whip some up in my kitchen! I figured while I was at it, might as well make it keto.
This meal may be is deceptively small, but it makes up for it in richness and flavor. One keto ‘biscuit’ per person is enjoyed with a small bowl of creamy, full-flavored gravy made using a seasoned ground pork mixture. Humble, filling and so, so tasty!
Biscuits with sausage gravy is a Southern breakfast classic, but this recipe has a twist - keto "biscuits." Now you can have a low carb, hearty meal in the morning without veering off your low carb lifestyle.
- For the biscuits:
- 3.5 oz almond flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3.5 oz grated mozzarella cheese
- 2.1 oz full-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg, whisked
- For the sausage gravy:
- 7 oz ground pork mince (we use Butcher Box meat here)
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- Pinch ground cloves
- Sea salt
- Ground white pepper
- 1 TB olive oil
- ½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup beef broth (or homemade beef bone broth)
- 2.6 oz heavy cream
- 1.8 oz sour cream
- 1.4 oz grated cheddar cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the biscuits, combine the almond flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl then place it into a food processor.
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese into a wide, shallow mixing bowl and heat in the microwave for 90 seconds.
- Pour the melted cheese into the food processor and blitz well.
- Add the whisked egg and blitz well until it forms a dough. Place the dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 355°F.
- Form 4 balls of dough and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, compressing down to form flatter ‘patty-like’ shapes, as pictured.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce to 285°F, baking for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside to keep warm.
- For the sausage gravy, combine the ground pork, sage, oregano, and a pinch of ground cloves.
- Season with salt and ground white pepper and mix well to combine.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the onions and garlic until softened.
- Add the beef stock and cook until the stock completely evaporates.
- Pour in the cream, sour cream, and grated cheddar and mix well to combine and warm through.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve with the biscuits.
Learn to make your own homemade bone broth here.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Aluminum Baking Sheet Pan
Raw Grass-Fed Cheddar Cheese
Kettle & Fire Bone Broth
Organic Oregano Leaf
Butcher Box Meat & Seafood
Organic Cream Cheese
Fine Ground Celtic Sea Salt
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 570Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 880mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g