When I was a kid I did not like the taste of seafood! Crazy, right? My Mom would make amazing seafood chowder on Christmas Eve and I would request to have macaroni and cheese instead. Well, I finally outgrew that phase! Once I decided that I actually liked seafood, her seafood chowder quickly became a favorite. But, we only had it once a year on Christmas Eve.
Now that I am all grown-up, I can make it every day if I want!!! #winning. I have my Mom’s secret seafood chowder recipe and I want to share it with you because it is gooooood! Go ahead, make a double batch and fill the freezer. I’ve definitely done that! This year I even used my shiny new Instant Pot to make the process even shorter. Seriously, go get one of these amazing machines right now!
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, tails removed
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh scallops
- 4 pollock fillets (diced)
- 3-4 (6.5oz) cans chopped clams with juice — like these
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 4 c potatoes (4-5 potatoes), pre-cooked and cubed
- 2 c celery
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 pint organic heavy cream, preferably raw
- 1 package (8 oz) organic cream cheese
- black pepper
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 tsp tarragon
- filtered water
- In a large skillet saute bacon until it starts to brown
- Then add the celery and onions over medium-high heat
- In another pan, precook the shrimp, scallops, pollock, and pre-cooked potatoes
I precooked my potatoes in my Instant Pot. It only took 7 minutes to cook them!
- After the onions and celery are soft and the bacon is cooked, add in the other ingredients
- Pour it all into a large stock pot
- Add in heavy cream, cream cheese, clams with juice and spices
- Now add in water to the desired thickness of the soup
- Over low heat, let it cook until everything it fragrant and the soup is nice and creamy
- Serve immediately
- Makes approximately 8 quarts
- This soup also freezes very well!