Growing up, my grandma used to make dumplings as a special treat. Her old German recipe, she always said they were the best with day old potatoes. Every time I have sweet potatoes left over I wonder if they would make good dumplings. So I finally took the plunge and made some. I had to make them gluten free of course. I am so happy I did! These have quickly become a staple in our rotation. The are so versatile, you can eat them with many different sauces or use them in soup! My Grandma would be proud that I have re-created her classic dumplings and made them healthier sweet potato german dumplings! Miss you Grannie, XOXO.
You only need four ingredients to make these delicious, hearty Paleo sweet potato German dumplings. Add to your favorite entrees as a side dish.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Mash sweet potato if you haven’t already.
- Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Form into small balls, about 1.5″ across.
- Drop dumplings into the boiling water.
- Boil for 10 minutes, they will float to the top when done.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the dumplings from the water and place into a serving dish.
- Serve right away, or cover to keep them warm.
- Top with butter or gravy and fresh herbs.
- These can also be used as dumplings in soups. I even freeze them in an airtight bag and use them in soups later on! I use THIS to make them airtight.
P.S. If you want to find the best gluten free items online (best prices around, believe me I have checked!) with free shipping, I highly recommend Thrive Market, they even have a special Gluten Free section. CLICK HERE to check them out!