The way that I cook involves reading through a bunch of recipes for one particular food and then coming up with my own variation that is either Paleo, kid-friendly, or made with food that I have on hand. This recipe meets all of these criteria. Who doesn’t love the ease and flavor of a pot roast?
You'll love this slow-cooked, flavorful beef roast. Just a few hours in the crockpot, and you'll have a delicious meal. Pair with your favorite sides for a hearty dinner.
- Season roast with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Sear the beef in lard on a hot skillet. Sear each side for about 3 minutes until thoroughly browned. This step is very important, so don’t omit it!
- Next, slice the onions and place them in the bottom of your crockpot.
- Place beef on top of the onions.
- Cook tomatoes in 1 cup water until softened, then purée them.
- Pour tomato puree over the meat in the crockpot.
- Add beef broth and balsamic vinegar.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170°F.
- Take the meat out and slice. Reduce the cooking liquid by half and drizzle over the meat.
- Serve sliced with onions and sauce on top….we also added pureed squash and baby carrots to make it more appealing to the kiddos.