I have been very lucky in that I rarely ever get really sick. When I come down with something it usually manifests as a sore throat and maybe a few aches and pains. The sore thorat is a bother though so I have been experimenting with different remedies to soothe the scratchiness. Of course my mind immediately went to nourishing bone broth! Here is the sore throat remedy that I came up with that not only helps heal your throat, but also helps heal your gut!
- 2 cups bone broth — here is my bone broth recipe
- 3 inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp high-quality sea salt — where to find
- Juice of one lemon
- In a saucepan heat all ingredients (except lemon) until simmering
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes to develop the flavors
- Let cool until it becomes a drinkable temperature
- Strain out the ginger and garlic (I eat the garlic!)
- Squeeze in lemon juice
- Sip away!
Why is this so healthy for your throat and gut? Let’s break it down!
Bone Broth: Heals leaky gut, reduces inflammation, promotes digestion, supports healthy tissue regeneration. Read all about the benefits of bone broth in this post.
Sea Salt: Sea salt naturally builds up your immune system so that you can fight off colds, flu, allergies and other autoimmune disorders. It contains many essential trace minerals that your body needs in order to be healthy. Table salt does not have these trace minerals because they are removed during processing.
Ginger: Very soothing to the lining of the gut. It reduced pain and inflammation. Ginger has traditionally been used as a natural treatment for colds and the flu for many years. Especially helpful for the stomach flu!
Garlic: Packs an immune boosting punch! Also reduces pain and inflammation. Because of its antiviral and antibacterial properties as well as its vitamin C content, garlic is a powerful immune booster.