I grew up thinking that onion soup mix had magical powers. It transofrmed plain old sour cream into something that made me want to eat raw broccoli by the pound, it made casseroles have the most amazing flavor, it even tasted good just added to water (when I was a starvig college student). Well over the years I have come to look deeper into the foods that I eat, especially when they come from a box or small white envelop. Alas, my magical onion soup mix was not so magical. It was full of the flavor enhancer MSG. Aw man! Just look at this ingredient list…
MSG is actually listed a few times, under different names. Plus, caramel color, corn syrup, and soybean oil? No thanks! I think I will just make my own homemade onion soup mix. So I did.
- 1/2 cup dry onion flakes — where to find
- 2 tsp sea salt — where to find
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp coconut sugar — where to find
- Measure all ingredients into a bowl and mix well with a fork or whisk
- Pour into an airtight glass jar (like this)
- Use in place of the commercial onion soup mix in your recipes
Watch the video below to see a demo I did of this recipe on a local news show.