Strawberries are so delicious that I could eat them by the crate full. But, then you end up with five crates full at prime strawberry picking season and panic about what to do with them! I freeze most of them, turn some into chia jam, and I have added to my recipe collection: Kombucha Strawberry Shrub Recipe. It’s super easy to make and so delicious. I only had a small amount of vinegar on hand when I made the recipe, so I improvised with some homemade kombucha and it turned out awesome!
Kombucha Strawberry Shrub Recipe
- 2 cups organic strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1 cup organic cane sugar (not GMO beet sugar!) — we use this kind
- 1 cup vinegar — this one is our favorite, it’s the real deal
- 1 cup homemade kombucha
- Mash those berries up! I use a potato masher because that’s what my grandma would have done!
- Combine the berries and the sugar in a bowl.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, strain the berries through a mesh strainer. Really work them because the liquid will be syrupy and the more you mash them with that spatula, the more juice you get.
- Save the berries for a delicious treat.
- Pour the sweetened strawberry juice into a mason jar and pour in the vinegar and kombucha.
- Put back into the fridge and allow to sit for 2-3 days.
- Serve strawberry shrub with your favorite beverage: sparkling water or mixed drinks. Whatever suits your fancy!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share “Kombucha Strawberry Shrub Recipe” on Google+