This is a delicious, sugar-free chocolate ice cream. I used an 85% dark chocolate and the mixture only needed a small amount of sweetener to make it perfect.
However, if you choose to use 100% unsweetened dark chocolate, you may need to increase the amount of sweetener. Please do a taste-check after the mixture has been simmering for 10 minutes (making the raw egg safe to sample) and whisk in the sweetener as needed.
The recipe below makes approximately 18 scoops (9 people, assuming everyone will have 2 scoops each).
- 3.5 oz 85% dark chocolate
- 7 oz full-fat milk
- 18 oz heavy cream
- 4 TB Swerve confectioner’s sweetener
- 3 large egg yolks, whisked
1. Before you begin the recipe, please ensure your ice cream maker bowl has been in the freezer ahead of time, according to the manufacturers’ instructions.
2. Melt the dark chocolate over very low heat in a pan.
3. In the meantime, prepare all your remaining ingredients: weigh out the milk and cream, weigh out the sweetener and the eggs yolks.
4. Very slowly add the milk/cream mixture to the pan of melted chocolate. Use a silicon whisk as you do so (to protect your non-stick pan). The addition of a cool mixture may cause the chocolate to seize but keep whisking over low heat. If necessary, add a tablespoon or two of boiling hot water, this will help to emulsify the mixture.
5. With the pan still on low heat, whisk in the egg yolks. Do not allow the mixture to ever simmer - you want to cook the eggs to a safe temperature without scrambling them.
6. After about 10-12 minutes of low-heat simmering, remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the sweetener.
7. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Place the bowl in the fridge to chill for at least two hours.
8. Once cooled, whisk well, then pour the mixture into an ice cream maker. Churn as per the manufacturers’ instructions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 380 Total Fat: 39g Saturated Fat: 23g Trans Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 155mg Sodium: 30mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 4g