Hearty and satisfying, this pretty Mexican corn chowder soup is a family favorite, even the kids love it! If you are cooking for the family, use a larger saucepan and double all the ingredients up! You will notice I blend half the cooked corn into the broth, allowing the chowder to still retain plenty of texture by having the remaining corn left whole. And you will love the green bell pepper and bacon addition!
A thick, creamy, and hearty chowder will keep you warm on a chilly night. Pair it with a salad or sandwich for a delicious lunch or light dinner.
- 3.5 oz smoked bacon, finely chopped (we use Butcher Box meat)
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 17.6 oz fresh sweetcorn kernels, defrosted if frozen (can use can corn)
- 17 fl oz chicken or vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp ground cumin (add more if you like)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (add more if you like), plus extra for dusting
- 2.1 oz crème Fraiche
- 2.1 oz heavy cream, plus an extra optional drizzle to garnish
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 0.7 oz feta cheese
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced
- Small handful of fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Have all your ingredients prepped and ready.
- Heat a medium, non-stick saucepan and add the chopped bacon, cooking until they release their own juices and start to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a small plate lined with a paper towel.
- To the same pan and add the green bell peppers, cooking over moderate heat until they soften and start to caramelize a little. Remove and set aside on a small plate lined with a paper towel.
- Add the corn, broth, lime juice, and ground spices into the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the corn softens.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove half the corn from the saucepan. Set it aside. Use a hand blender right there in the pan to puree the remaining corn with the broth. Puree until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Return the corn to the pan, along with the bacon, green peppers, crème Fraiche, and cream. Allow the soup to warm through over moderate heat for a few minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the soup between two bowls and stir through a drizzle of more cream if you like. Sprinkle on a pinch of cayenne pepper and garnish each with crumbled feta, sliced chilies, and fresh cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 660Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 870mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 12gSugar: 10gProtein: 20g