So simple and tasty, this meatloaf is made using ground chia and egg to bind, but it can be a little more delicate than most due to the cottage cheese I have packed inside, bringing a light and creamy texture to every slice. Be sure to allow the meatloaf to rest before slicing and please remember to slice the onions very small and use small-curd cottage to assist the mixture sticking together. This one is always a hit with the entire family!
A tasty new way to make meatloaf that the whole family will enjoy. Cheese always makes everything taste better!
- 17.6 oz ground beef
- 4.2 oz full-fat, small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 large free-range egg, lightly whisked
- ½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 TB ground chia seeds
- 1.8 oz reduced-sugar ketchup
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 0.7 oz finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Generous drizzle reduced sugar ketchup, to finish
- Chopped herbs of your choice, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and have all your ingredients prepped and ready.
- Combine the ground beef, cottage cheese, whisked egg, onion, garlic, ground chia, ketchup, and mustard. Season the mixture generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a lined 2 lb loaf pan (I love to use a cast iron pan) and compress the mixture down as best you can.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove and gently place a paper towel on the surface of the meatloaf to remove any excess wateriness.
- Discard the paper towel and sprinkle on the grated Parmesan. Return the meatloaf to the oven for 10-15 additional minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and gently tip to the side so any excess wateriness runs off. Leave to settle for 10 minutes before serving. Using a layer of parchment paper under the loaf extremely useful here as you can lift the meatloaf out, tear open the sides and allow any excess moisture to run off easier.
- A drizzle of additional ketchup and a scattering of freshly chopped herbs will make a pretty presentation before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 470mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 33g