This is a great homemade chili sauce where the heat can be adjusted according to your preference. This is easily done by simply choosing to remove the seeds from the chilies before cooking. I made a version below with all the seeds removed, and the chili sauce has a good kick. If you are braver, leave half the seeds in the prepped chilies, and if you are braver-than-brave – leave them all in. (Wearing gloves when working with chilies is advised.)
The white wine vinegar adds a lovely acidity and sweetness and the paprika brings the sauce to life.
This lovely sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to five days, can be eaten cold as a condiment, or used as part of a marinade base for your Game Day chicken wings!
This is a great homemade chili sauce where the heat can be adjusted according to your preference.
- 9 oz red chilies
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 TB olive oil
- ½ TB smoked paprika
- 2 TB white wine vinegar
- 2 cups hot water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the chilies and slice in half lengthways. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Scrape out the seeds from the chilies and chop into smaller pieces. Roughly chop the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the chili and garlic over moderate heat until slightly softened.
- Add the paprika and mix well to combine, frying for a minute or two.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine vinegar and allow to cook out completely. Add the hot water and cook for 30 minutes on a gentle simmer.
- Carefully use a stick blender to blend the mixture to a smooth puree. If it is too thick, add a little hot water. If it is still too ‘watery’, place the mixture back onto the heat to reduce and thicken until you are happy with the consistency.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and store covered in the fridge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:3.5 oz.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1.5gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g