In our on-going adventures of finding healthy grain-free options to our favorite breakfast foods, I came up with this recipe. Grain-free waffles! Pass the syrup! They are super easy to make and if you double the batch, you can freeze a ton of them!
Did someone say “lego my eggo”? The cool part is that these waffles are green inside, due to a chemical reaction between the sun-butter and the baking soda….very cool! If you like, you can substitute almond butter too.
- 3 medium banana
- 3 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 1 (16 oz) container of sun-butter (or you can use smooth almond butter)
- 6 medium pastured eggs
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot powder -- where to find
- 3 Tbsp pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsps baking soda
- Coconut oil for greasing waffle iron
1. Puree apple and banana in a food processor.
2. Use the whisk attachment on your electric mixer and whip sun-butter on high until smooth.
3. Add puree and remaining ingredients to whipped sun-butter and continue to whip until combined.
4. Grease your hot waffle maker with coconut oil (for each waffle you make).
5. Use about 1 ladle of batter per 8-by-4-inch waffle onto hot waffle iron for 3-5 minutes until browned. Do not fill up entire waffle maker, leave about 40% unfilled so that the batter can spread. If your waffle is soft or floppy, it’s not ready yet – keep cooking for another minute or two!
6. Eat your Grain-Free Waffles immediately or store flat in the freezer and make your own breakfast by reheating in the toaster – the waffles will be firm enough.
The sun butter makes them turn green inside!