Have you heard the legend of the Nieman Marcus Cookie Recipe? It’s a good one!
Apparently, as the story goes, a woman was eating lunch at Nieman Marcus and wanted a small dessert. She decided to indulge in the store’s famous cookie. She was so enamored by the cookie that she requested the recipe. The store clerk said she could not give the recipe away, but she could sell it for “two fifty”. The woman thought that a reasonable price so she agreed to have it added to her tab.
Later on when the woman got her bank statement she was shocked to find out that she was not charged $2.50, but actually $250! She was so upset that she shared the recipe with everyone she knew to get revenge on the store for charging her such a huge amount for a simple cookie recipe.
Well, this story has proven to be an urban myth. Oh well, Nieman Marcus decided to play along and they actually put the recipe up on their website for free, you can find the recipe HERE.
Now, when I was searching online, there seemed to be two different versions of the Nieman Marcus Cookie Recipe: one with coffee in it, and one with ground up oats. Since we are definitely gluten-free, and mostly grain free, I opted to try out the recipe without the oats. Bonus: I get to add my favorite medicinal mushroom coffee to the recipe to make it even more awesome! Of course, I adapted this recipe to make it grain free so everyone can enjoy it! I hope you enjoy them too. Oh, and you can send me $250 if you print it off. Ha! Kidding! Enjoy!!!
Grain Free Nieman Marcus Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/2 (6 oz) sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup organic brown sugar, packed — where to find
- 3 Tbsp organic white cane sugar — where to find
- 1 large pastured egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Otto’s Cassava Flour — where to find
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp coffee granules — I use this kind because it’s the best coffee on earth (use the coupon code “REALFOODRN” to get 10% off your order)
- 1 1/2 cups high-quality dark chocolate chips — this kind is one of our favorites! (soy, dairy, gluten, and nut free!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Whip butter in a stand mixer
- Add in sugars and whip some more
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix to combine. Try to keep small humans from sticking their fingers in the bowl. They promise they did not sample it!
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and coffee granules
- Mix to combine
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the stand mixer bowl
- Mix on slow or you will have flour everywhere! Scrape down the sides as you go (the mixer was turned off while she scraped the bowl, do not do this with the mixer on!)
- Once all the flour is mixed in, add in the chocolate chips
- Stir until you are rest assured that you will have exactly 7 chocolate chips in every cookie. Only kidding. But you have to admit, this recipe has a nice allotment of chocolate chips when compared to other chocolate chip cookie recipes!
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto a Silpat lined baking sheet
- Flatten the cookies if you wish (they are better flattened, in my opinion)
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes
- Allow cooling on a drying rack
- Makes about 24 – 30 cookies, depending on how much dough you sample. Lol!
- Store in an airtight container and they will last up to one week
P.S. If you want to find the best gluten-free items online (best prices around, believe me, I have checked!) with free shipping, I highly recommend Thrive Market, they even have a special Gluten Free section. CLICK HERE to check them out!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share with Google+