A Minnesota potluck favorite! This chunky soup is packed with all the flavors we have come to love in a cheeseburger! Double the recipe if you are cooking for the family, and enjoy with a thick slice of grain-free bread. I recommend a lean ground beef, like what I used for this recipe.
A Minnesota potluck favorite, this chunky soup is packed with all the flavors we have come to love in a cheeseburger!
- 0.7 oz unsalted grass-fed butter
- 10.6 oz lean ground beef
- ½ onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed and diced small
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely sliced
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 cups warm chicken broth
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 5.3 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 TB sour cream
- Fresh herbs of your choice, chopped to garnish
- Have all your ingredients prepped and ready.
- Melt half the butter in a large pan or wok and fry the ground beef over high heat until browned. Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef and set aside, leaving the fat and juices in the pan.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and add the onion, celery, and carrot. Fry over moderate heat until the vegetables soften and start to caramelize.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the dried herbs and the chicken broth, reserving a few tablespoons of the broth in a small bowl. Bring the mixture to a light simmer for approximately 5 minutes until the soup reduces slightly.
- In the meantime, dissolve the arrowroot powder in the little bowl of stock set aside. Add this to the pan, stirring well to combine.
- Add the grated cheese (reserving a little for garnish) and stir well until completely melted and the soup reduces further and thickens.
- Divide the mixture between two warm bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream, the remaining grated cheese, and any chopped herbs of your choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 710Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 1.5gCholesterol: 195mgSodium: 1,080mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 59g