When I was going to nutrition school in New York, I ate my first piece of flourless chocolate cake. I can’t even find words to describe how amazing it was. It was like eating rainbows and magic. I have never found it at another restaurant again, not one that tasted that good anyway! I have been putting off making it in my own kitchen because I was a bit intimidated to make one. Well, turns out they are not hard to make….and I even came up with a version that has healthy ingredients. You can thank me later.
Flourless cakes are not hard to make. I came up with my own version that has healthy ingredients so you can feel good about eating this decadent chocolate treat. You can thank me later.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease the whole thing with coconut oil.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces so they melt easier.
- In a double boiler (or two saucepans, one inside the other), melt the chocolate and coconut oil.
- Remove double boiler from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and honey until liquefied.
- Combine egg yolks, vanilla, and melted chocolate.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add coconut sugar to egg whites.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg white mixture into melted chocolate, making sure not to work the batter too much.
- Transfer batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until set.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and transfer to a serving plate, the cake will settle once it is cooled and the center will sink a bit.
- Serve with a dusting of cocoa powder, whipped cream (or coconut whipped cream), or chocolate ganache.
Sometimes, I like to give my chocolate treats a mocha flavor. When I do this, I just add one packet of my favorite coffee to the mix. This stuff is a super healthy mushroom coffee, so it makes the chocolate treat a healthy mocha treat! You can find it HERE and you can use the coupon code “REALFOODRN” to get 10% off your order.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
P.S. If you want to find the best gluten-free items online (best prices around, believe me, I have checked!) with free shipping, I highly recommend Thrive Market, they even have a special Gluten Free section. CLICK HERE to check them out!