When I was going to nutrition school in New York, I ate my first piece of flourless chocolate cake. I can’t even find words to describe how amazing it was. It was like eating rainbows and magic. I have never found it at another restaurant again, not one that tasted that good anyway! I have been putting off making it in my own kitchen because I was a bit intimidated to make one. Well, turns out they are not hard to make….and I even came up with a version that has healthy ingredients. You can thank me later.
- 6 eggs, divided
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil — where to find
- 6 ounces dark chocolate — we like this kind
- 1/2 cup honey — we use this kind
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar — where to find
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Pinch salt
- Optional: sometimes I like to give my chocolate treats a mocha flavor. When I do this, I just add one packet of my favorite coffee to the mix. This stuff is a super healthy mushroom coffee, so it makes the chocolate treat a healthy mocha treat! You can find it HERE and you can use the coupon code “REALFOODRN” to get 10% off your order.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease the whole thing with coconut oil
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces so they melt easier
- Remove double boiler from heat and set aside
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and honey until liquefied
- Combine egg yolks, vanilla and melted chocolate
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg-whites until stiff peaks form
- Slowly add coconut sugar to egg-whites
- Using a rubber spatula, fold egg-white mixture into melted chocolate, making sure not to work the batter too much
- Transfer batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until set
- Allow the cake to cool completely and transfer to a serving plate, the cake will settle once it is cooled and the center will sink a bit
P.S. If you want to find the best gluten free items online (best prices around, believe me I have checked!) with free shipping, I highly recommend Thrive Market, they even have a special Gluten Free section. CLICK HERE to check them out!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe