I like to do regular detoxification protocols because I know how much my body needs it. Our livers are responsible for detoxifying our body, but they are way over-burdened right now. Doing a little detoxification just helps the body work more efficiently so it can carry on with business as usual. Every day our bodies are bombarded with an assault of chemicals, heavy metals, and toxic substances. In our modern world we are exposed to way more than our grandparents and great-grandparents could have ever dreamed of.
First, a disclaimer: this is not intended to be taken as medical advice. This is simply an explanation of the detoxification protocols that I use for my own personal health and wellbeing. Always consult with your general medical practitioner before you embark on any detoxification protocol. Whew, glad that's over. Now, on with the show…..
How and Why I do Regular Detoxification
Just think of how your day typically goes:
- You wake up and brush your teeth: fluoride, SLS and chlorine
- Wash your hair: SLS, Parabens, Propylene Glycol, and many more…
- Put on your deodorant: aluminum, Propylene Glycol
- Makeup: oh boy, just go here to see what's in this! I started a Safe Skin Care Facebook group to educate on this topic, join thousands of others HERE.
- Get dressed: laundry detergent chemicals…if you can smell the scent of your detergent on your clothes, then you have “fragrance” in your clothes (*hint*: fragrance is the label used for a whole bunch of nasty chemicals that make your clothes smell “good”)
- Make breakfast: might use non-stick cookware, which contains teflon. Or you might microwave something and if you do it in plastic you run the risk of being exposed to exogenous estrogens (think hormone-disruptors)
- Spray on perfume: again, go here
- Get in the car and go to work: car fumes on the commute
- Go to work: toxic air in the office, chemical cleaners
- Lunch: plastic in the microwave (see breakfast)
- Commute home: car fumes
- ……you get the idea!
Now, just think that we do this routine every day! That's a huge chemical burden for our body to try and get rid of. What if your detoxification pathways aren't up to par (which is very common)? Then give your body a little boost! Here are some of my favorite ways to do a detoxification…
- This one is my favorite because it really makes you sweat: The Ultimate Detox Bath
- Just plain old epsom salts: add up to 2 cups and soak away — where to find
- Baking soda: add up to 4 cups of baking soda (this one really helps with environmental radiation exposure) — get it in bulk here
- Clay: binds to toxins and they're used to treat everything from tired, achy muscles to heavy metal poisoning, radiation and chemical/pesticide exposure — I use this clay
- I find the most benefit from the baths if I soak for at least 30 minutes
Another burden on our bodies is constantly dealing with an acidic state from the foods we eat, the environment we live in and the stress we experience. Green leafy vegetables helps to balance that acidity and calm the inflammation in our bodies. We drink a green drink every morning.
- Here is my husbands morning drink: The Green Drink
- Here is my favorite: Liver Cleansing Detox Smoothie
- You can really make a green drink out of any vegetables that you want!
Skin brushing is a great way to stimulate lymph flow. Why is this important? Here's why:
It is a part of the body’s defense system. The lymph nodes remove microorganisms and other foreign substances, acting as a filtration system that keeps particulate matter, such as bacteria, from entering the bloodstream. Its primary functions are related to our immune, circulatory, and waste removal (source)
So how do you do it? Simple, I do it in the shower most mornings:
- first, you will need a brush: here is the one I use
- you brush your skin with the “nub” side of the brush. Use gentle, long sweeping strokes towards your heart. This means you go from your feet, up your leg. From your hands, towards your body. You get the idea.
Jumping on a small trampoline also gets the lymph flowing for the same reason that you do skin brushing. This one is fun because I can involve my kids in it!
- first, you need a small trampoline — here is the one I use
- jump on the trampoline. That's it! Do it for 5 minutes (or longer if you wish) every day
Get outside and get moving. You don't have to run 7 miles every day, but it is a good idea to get some physical activity that gets your heart rate up most days. I am a runner so you don't need to convince me of the health benefits of physical activity. Without my running, I feel like a slug. It's my drug!
Well, I am a nurse after all. Why wouldn't I talk about enemas! I'm not going to go into detail here, just head on over to my post where I detail everything you never wanted to know about coffee enemas: Why I Do Coffee Enemas
So, this is the list of the basic detoxification protocols that I include in my life. Of course, there are far more intensive protocols out there but I think some of those are just a bunch of hype and some of them are downright bad for you. Always proceed with every detoxification protocol with caution. Use your own good judgment and consult with your primary care provider before you embark on any detoxification protocol. If you are elderly or immunocompromised, then choose the gentlest protocol you can find: just drink some daily green juice (again, use caution if you are on a blood-thinning medication). Cleanse and be happy!
I also have a favorite 21-day detox kit. It includes everything you need to do a detox, plus a guide to help you through it. Very gentle, and also very effective! You can find it HERE. Use coupon code: REALFOOD at checkout to save 10% off your entire order too! Go get your detox on!
What is your favorite method of detoxification? I would love to hear about it in the comments below!
CLICK HERE to Pin this post