My husband works in the corporate world, so he does not have a blog. But, he does share the same Real Food lifestyle with me and he is very into fitness as well. During the 60 Day Challenge I needed some help getting a blog post out every day. He decided to help me out and add in his fitness expertise for Fitness Fridays. The post below is all about the Green Drink that he makes every day before he works out and how much it benefits his health.
(P.S. I totally got him started drinking this Green Drink, even if he says otherwise)
The Power of the “Green Drink”
I’m 32 years old and have been extremely active my whole life with sports and weightlifting. It wasn’t until about 4 years ago when I discovered just how much of a positive affect starting my day off with a Green Drink can be.
A few reasons why I start my day off with the Green Drink
- It certainly beats coffee: I use to drink lots of coffee in the morning. Besides the obvious caffeine blast, the “Meat Head” “Bro- Science” I heard and read about told me that caffeine will help you burn more calories and be leaner. But it looks like the negatives may out-weight the positives. Some of coffee and caffeine’s main disadvantages are: dehydration, decreased appetite, inhibited absorption of nutrients, exhausted adrenals and accelerated aging.
- Green Drinks are alkaline: When you wake up in the morning your body is on the acidic side (Normal pH is around 7.40) due mainly to anabolic process (muscle repair). Vegetables are naturally alkaline and they help return your body to normal pH which in turn allows your body to focus on repairing itself.
- I’ve never once said “Hmmm, I’m hungry. I could sure go for a salad”: By drinking a Green Drink I can get a good portion of my vegetable servings in. Plus, Green Drinks are more bio-available (thank you Vitamix!) and you absorb more vitamins and minerals.
- Dude, you need more than just protein: Vegetables contain tons of vitamins and minerals that are critical for proper and efficient muscle contractions, inflammation control, blood cell production and much more.
- Ton O’ Fiber: You’re abbs will look amazing! It wasn’t until I started with the Green Drinks, more specifically the fiber of whole foods, that I saw full benefits. Plus, of course, all the other things fiber is essential for like regulating sugar absorption, satiety, gastro-intestinal health, and cancer prevention.
What you need:
- A Vitamix
- 10 oz of your favorite fresh organic leafy greens (spinach, kale, romaine, arugula, chard)
- 1 lemon or lime
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups water
- 3 carrots
- 1 apple
- Blend on high until liquefied
- Drink immediately
- It’s best within 30 minutes of being made, but can keep up to two days in the fridge