I have to admit that I was intimidated to make beet kvass because I thought it was going to be super involved. Then one day I had some beets leftover from a smoothie I was making and I decided to just finally give kvass a try. Wow, it is so easy! This has now become as routine for us as kombucha brewing!
It also happens to have the following health-giving benefits:
- Aids digestion
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
- Promotes regularity
- Alkalizes the body
- Cleans the liver and helps it perform its detoxification processes
- Hangover antidote
- Helps with anemia (due to its iron content)
- Helps your vision (due to its Lutein and Zeaxanthin content)
- Has been shown to help prevent tumor growth
This beet kvass recipe is so easy to make and has so many health benefits.
1. Add beets, garlic, salt and whey to jar.
2. You can use different kinds of jars, as long as they are glass. I use either of these, but typically the mason jar.
3. Fill with water to the top of the jar, leaving 1" headroom.
4. Stir with a large spoon.
5. Cover with a breathable cotton cloth, so critters can't get in.
6. Let sit in a temperate area for 1-2 days, depending on how warm our house is....if you live in a hot climate it will be ready sooner.
7. That's it! (I bet you thought it was waaaay more complicated, I did!).
8. When it's ready you can ladle it into individual glass containers for grab-and-go kvass, or store in pretty wine bottles as pictured at the top!