The best way for anyone to keep themselves healthy is to make sure they are removing harmful toxins as often as possible. Whether you are looking for ways to naturally detox your liver, or if you want a yummy detox smoothie recipe, we’ve got you covered!
Our bodies are powerful, and they are capable of handling the toughest tasks we throw at them. The intricacies of how our bodies prevent us from getting sick, digest food, retain nutrients, and even how our bodies help us to detox are truly amazing! Now, we do have natural abilities to detox with the help of our liver and kidneys. Not to mention our skin and lungs do some pretty amazing stuff too. But there are a few ways we can enhance our body’s natural detoxification system!
What is a Toxin?
You have probably heard the word ‘toxin’ quite a bit recently, but what is a toxin? Loosely defined, a toxin consists of air or chemical pollutants, synthetic (non-natural) chemicals, lab-made processed foods, drinks, and more. Yes, these things all have a negative impact on your health. In our modern world, we are overburdened with toxins.
Your body is a wondrous and complex machine that helps rid you of those harmful toxins. But, if your body and organs are not at peak efficiency, they won’t detox as well as they should. We all need to give our bodies some extra help! There are many ways you can give your liver, lymph nodes, skin, and other organs a detoxifying boost! In this post, I am going to share with you some of my personal favorite methods to use, along with some tasty recipes. If you are ready to start making the right choices for your body, and improve your immune system, circulation, and remove built-up toxins, then you’ll find these tips helpful!
How to Gently Remove Toxins Daily
Your body didn’t get oversaturated with toxins in a week. Those toxins have been building up and increasing every single day, since the day you were born. Not only will it take time to repair any damage done, but it also requires daily maintenance and routine to keep your body in tip-top shape.
To ensure I’m giving all of my organs a thorough detox on a regular basis, I use a combination of smoothies, salads, detox baths, oral hygiene, exercise, and infrared sauna sessions. However, you choose to amplify your body’s natural detoxification abilities, make sure you are following a healthy diet and lifestyle for best results. The fewer additional toxins you bombard your body with, the easier it will be to start repairing any damage done over the years!
There are a few simple things you can do to help reduce the strain you put on your body and start to lighten the load before detoxing.
- Reduce the amount of alcohol you drink (also consider drinking clean wine to reduce the burden if you do imbibe)
- Get 7 – 9 hours a sleep per night for 2 solid weeks (and then always!)
- Drink 8 glasses of water per day
- Cut back or remove sugar from your diet completely
- Eat more leafy greens
- Add Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E to your diet
- Decrease salt intake
- Exercise at least 10 minutes per day
But, if you’re ready to dive deeper, you might be wondering where to begin. How do you start giving your body that extra detox boost it needs? Here are four ways to naturally detox:
1. Naturally Detox Your Liver – Your liver is the number one detoxifier in your body, and it works the hardest- even when you are sleeping! I would suggest starting with this area of your body if you want to begin a detox regimen for everyday use. Natural is always best, so there are a couple of recommended ways you could give your liver a healthy start each day. My husband loves a basic green juice drink every morning when he wakes up, consisting of leafy greens, veggies, and fruits. It’s delicious and you can find the recipe HERE. I prefer a detox smoothie when I wake up, it gives me all the energy I need for a day ahead of mom-life!
Detox Smoothie Recipe – When we don’t properly support our body’s natural detoxification system it can quickly become overburdened and lead to chronic disease. This is why I love my liver cleansing detox smoothie! This is my favorite, and it is the TASTIEST detox smoothie that’s ever touched my lips (And I’ve tried A LOT of them). I’m hoping it will be your new favorite way to begin your day. Packed with nutrients to stimulate liver function and boost the immune system, all you need to enjoy this smoothie every morning is a blender and some healthy ingredients! Find the recipe HERE.
Detox Salad Recipe – I like to incorporate several other methods into my daily routine for detoxing, but the most important thing you can do to help yourself is to pay attention to your diet. What you eat is so vital to the healing and detoxifying process. At least two times a week, I enjoy eating a detox salad. If you are looking for a way to get more vegetables into your menu, try this delicious Detox Salad.
2. Naturally Detox Your Mouth – Tongue scraping is another way you can give your body a boost! It’s been a part of Ayurvedic medicine and ancient healing practices for centuries. Your mouth is where a good majority of the toxins you encounter daily enter your body. Naturally, that should be where we need to focus our detoxifying attention. It helps to remove bacteria that build up in the mouth too, which leads to bad breath. Most tongue scrapers are under ten dollars and are easy to find in your local store or online.
3. Naturally Detox Your Skin – Your skin is your largest organ, and it is the one that comes in contact with more toxins than you can imagine. The air around you, the clothes you wear, the detergents you use, the residual oils and dirt in the air – there are toxins everywhere and your skin is taking most of the damage. It only makes sense that you should purify your skin if you want to help detox your body as often as possible. For this, I like to take a detox bath about once or twice a week. These baths are so simple to set up for yourself as well. You only need Epsom salt, bentonite clay, apple cider vinegar, and your favorite organic natural essential oil (make sure it is safe and 100% pure). To see my favorite detox bath recipe and instructions, take a look HERE.
Another great way to naturally detox your skin is with various types of saunas. The one I have really enjoyed using and seen the best results with is an infrared sauna. These types of saunas help to regulate cortisol in the body, reduce stress, purify skin, and detoxify the body. Using an infrared sauna increases the amount of sweating that occurs, without as high of a heat, which means your body excretes more toxins than in a traditional sauna.
If you are interested in getting a sauna, my personal favorite is the Solo sauna from Sunlighten. You can learn more about their saunas HERE, mention my name and you will get $100 off your sauna purchase, and either shipping for $99 (cabin) or $49 (solo unit). Standard shipping is $498 / $249 respectively.
4. Other Tips for Detoxing your Body – There are a few other ways you can give your body a natural detox boost. Your lymph nodes are an important aspect when it comes to regulating toxins and removing them from your system. So, it makes sense that you will need to take care of them and help them out as much as possible! Drinking water and staying hydrated is the number one way you can help your body to function as best as it can. Making sure you get plenty of fluids into your body helps your lymph system stay functioning at 100%.
Remember to stay active and get exercise every day. Take the stairs when possible, set a timer for yourself to get up and walk around every hour, use a standing desk, do morning stretches, take a walk after dinner – just keep moving. When you stay active, you keep your body happy!
One of my favorite ways to stay active is rebounding. Using a mini trampoline, you can jump and twist your way to a healthy lifestyle. While most types of exercises focus on one particular area of the body, rebounding works on every cell of the body in a special way and creates an increased G-force resistance, which strengthens your whole musculoskeletal system: bones, muscles, connective tissues, and organs. Plus, it’s FUN!
Rest is also important. Sleeping well and ensure you get a full night’s rest is vital for your health. If you want your body to feel good during the day, you have to let it relax and recover at night. After all, it is working overtime during the day to keep you alive and well. Treat it well at night. Lavender scents help to relax the mind and body, and those detox baths are a great way to calm down after a day filled with stress.
You know what it’s like to live in a world filled to the brim with toxins. Besides the pollutants and chemicals, we are facing every single day in our foods and in the air we breathe, we also have internal toxins to consider. I am talking about stress. Cortisol can help our bodies when we need it, but too often we are flooding our bloodstream with it. Too much cortisol can be considered a toxin, and too must stress can start to make your other organs not function as well as they should.
It is so important to remember that as much as we try to manage the effects of the outside world, we also need to be aware of how we are taking care of ourselves internally. What are we doing to make our lives less stressful? Are there any ways I could reduce stress in my life? Ask yourself these questions and remember to practice self-care and take time for YOU.