Potlucks are a common event here in Minnesota. Where there are potlucks, there is always a creamy coleslaw. I grew up eating the stuff all the time! While there are many different variations, I always gravitated to the creamy ones. The problem is that most of them are filled with unhealthy soy oil mayo and processed sugar.
So, I came up with my own version that includes healthy homemade mayo and some extra ingredients to really make the flavor pop! Sprinkle on bacon bits to take it to an even higher level of coleslaw goodness! Sure to please the potluck-goers because this is definitely the best paleo coleslaw ever!
- 2/3 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely minced onion
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice, or sauerkraut juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar — where to find
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Stevia powder to taste — about 1/2 tsp — where to find
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Note: sometimes when I make this I add fun flavors like dry mustard or cayenne. Play around with the flavors!
- 4 cups of your favorite cruciferous vegetables, shredded
- 3 Tbsp bacon grease
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a bowl, set aside
- In a skillet, melt bacon fat
- Add cruciferous to the skillet and saute until they start to get soft, about 5 minutes
- Combine the slaw and the dressing in a large bowl, serve immediately
- Optional: serve topped with fresh cilantro or bacon bits