Guest post by my wonderful husband, who prepares our horseradish…..
My in-laws raise 2-4 pigs every other year the right way. The pigs are allowed to graze at will and they’re also fed table scraps including meat, whole milk, and fruit. They are the happiest piggies you’ll ever see! Those pigs also produce the most delicious, succulent meat you’ll ever taste. However, no pork is complete without horseradish sauce!
Why is horseradish sauce good for us? Glad you asked!
Horseradish contains significant amounts of cancer-fighting compounds called glucosinolates, which increase the liver’s ability to detoxify carcinogens and may suppress the growth of tumors. Although broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and other cruciferous vegetables also contain these compounds, horseradish has up to 10 times more glucosinolates than broccoli. (source)
This homemade horseradish sauce goes great with pork products including ham, pork chops, slow-cooked pulled pork, bratwursts. I also love it on roast beef, cured meats, chicken nuggets, and of course, with a Bloody Mary!
1. Take one freshly uprooted horseradish root (I’ve also seen them at Whole Foods and various farmers’ markets).
2. Wash and peel like a carrot.
3. Add peeled root and vinegar to a high-powered blender.
4. Blend on high until you have a pulpy texture and add vinegar as you mix. You’ll want to mix 1 part horseradish to .75 parts vinegar or until you get the familiar creamy sauce texture you prefer.
5. Add a dash of salt to taste but I prefer without. CAUTION: BE CAREFUL! Fresh horseradish can be very pungent and burn your eyes and nose without ventilation.
6. Put into a glass jar.
7. Store in the refrigerator.
8. Fresh horseradish stores well for several months as long as it’s cool but starts to lose potency after 2 months.
9. Pairs well with most pork products including ham, pork chops, slow-cooked pulled pork, bratwursts. I also love it on roast beef, cured meats, chicken nuggets, and of course, with a Bloody Mary!
Here is what the top looks like, we planted it in our yard to grow more!