Grilled vegetables stacked high on a bed of delicious red lentil puree and topped with a spoonful of moreish pesto and crunchy pine nuts – what’s not to love? These highly nutritious, fiber-rich lentil recipes are as tasty as they are pretty – and will tick all the boxes for your meat-free-Mondays. Lentil recipes have many health benefits such as lower cholesterol, improved heart health, and the insoluble dietary fiber leads to an improved digestive health. Don’t be alarmed that the cooking time is a total of one hour, you can prep everything in the first 30 minutes of the tomatoes roasting away in the oven, and after adding the aubergines in the second half-hour, you can crack on with your chores. Lentil recipes like this are also a wonderful source of protein for vegetarians and vegans! If you are cooking for a larger family, simply double the recipe below.
Grilled Vegetable Stack on Red Lentil Puree
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 60 min
Total time: 1 hour 5 min
- 3 plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 TB pine nuts
- 1 large aubergine (eggplant)
- 1 cup red lentils — we buy them here
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch turmeric — we buy it here because its heavy metal free
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ TB balsamic vinegar
- 2 TB olive oil
- 3 tsp basil pesto, optional
- Salad leaves to serve, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Halve the tomatoes and drizzle over 1 tsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place them in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Use this time to prep the rest of the meal.
- Slice the aubergines and sprinkle with salt. Place on a colander over the sink for 20 minutes, after which you will rinse with cold water and drain well. Use kitchen paper to absorb excess moisture.
- Toast the pine nuts in a hot, dry pan. Set aside.
- Cook the red lentils in the vegetable stock until cooked and about to turn to mush. You may need to add a dash of water. Add the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, turmeric and crushed garlic and a stir well, cooking for a few more minutes. Set aside to keep warm.
- After the 30 minutes have passed, remove the tray of tomatoes from the oven and add the aubergines to the tray. Drizzle the aubergines with the second teaspoon olive oil and bake for 30 minutes. (This means the tomatoes roast for 1 hour)
- Make a quick vinaigrette by whisking together the balsamic vinegar and the second mention of olive oil in a small bowl.
- When ready to serve, divide the warm lentil puree between 3 dishes. If you are feeling a bit fancy, spoon it on arugula or lettuce. Pile the grilled vegetables on top of the warm lentils and drizzle over the vinaigrette. A small spoonful basil pesto and a scattering of toasted pine nuts will round it off perfectly.
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share “Grilled Vegetable Stack” on Google+