Growing up, my dad would make his famous burritos almost every weekend. We would have contests to see who could eat the most! They were so simple: tortillas, pureed pinto beans, cilantro rice, cheese, sour cream, and jalapenos (for the brave, like me!).
Well fast-forward to our current diet and so many of these ingredients cause me and family digestive distress, especially the grains! The tortillas are an easy fix: grain free tortillas. The dairy is an easy fix: raw dairy. The rice, however, was more of a challenge. Enter: Healthy and Delicious Mexican Cauliflower Rice. It’s so good that I actually eat it without the rest of the burrito!
This grain-free and gluten-free "rice" is the perfect side dish to any meal, especially your favorite Mexican meals.
- Dice the onion.
- In a skillet over medium heat cook the onion in coconut oil until the onion is translucent.
- In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until it resembles rice.
- Add cauliflower to the skillet and stir to combine. Add more oil if necessary.
- Cover the rice and let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in cumin, salt, and garlic.
- Once cooked to desired doneness, add in chopped cilantro and stir to combine.
- I like to stir in some butter when it is warm for extra flavor. Because: butter!
- Serve Mexican Cauliflower Rice immediately. If you want to make into burritos: serve with meat or beans and wrap it all up in a tasty grain-free tortillas with your favorite fixins.