Growing up, my dad would make his famous burritos almost every weekend. We would have contests to see who could eat the most! They were so simple: tortillas, pureed pinto beans, cilantro rice, cheese, sour cream, and jalapenos (for the brave, like me!).
Well fast-forward to our current diet and so many of these ingredients cause me and family digestive distress, especially the grains! The tortillas are an easy fix: grain free tortillas. The dairy is an easy fix: raw dairy. The rice, however, was more of a challenge. Enter: Healthy and Delicious Mexican Cauliflower Rice. It’s so good that I actually eat it without the rest of the burrito!
Healthy and Delicious Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 medium onion
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil — we like this brand
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic
- salt to taste
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, destemmed finely chopped
- Dice the onion
- In a skillet over medium heat cook the onion in coconut oil until the onion is translucent
- In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until it resembles rice
- Add cauliflower to the skillet and stir to combine. Add more oil if necessary
- Cover the rice and let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add in cumin, salt, and garlic
- Once cooked to desired doneness, add in chopped cilantro and stir to combine
- I like to stir in some butter when it is warm for extra flavor. Because: butter!
- Serve Mexican Cauliflower Rice immediately. If you want to make into burritos: serve with meat or beans and wrap it all up in a tasty grain free tortilla with your favorite fixins.
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share “Healthy and Delicious Mexican Cauliflower Rice” on Google+