A quick and easy way to enjoy plump prawns. Here, I paired up fragrant fennel seeds with the citrusy flavor of orange to bring an interesting and delicious flavor dimension. This is a lovely light meal for two people living low carb, or it can be put out as an appetizer for four people to share and enjoy.
A quick and easy way to enjoy plump prawns, especially if you're living the low carb lifestyle. A delicious citrus flavor that pairs perfectly with guacamole!
- For the shrimp:
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 orange
- 14 oz raw, peeled shrimp
- 1 TB olive oil
- For the guacamole:
- 2 small avocados
- Squeeze fresh lime
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Red chili, sliced
- Cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Sea salt flakes
1. Toast the fennel seeds in a hot, frying pan until toasted and fragrant. Crush lightly using a pestle and mortar.
2. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Zest the orange into the mixture and mix well to combine (I love to use a microplane to do this)
4. Toss the uncooked shrimp in the seasoning, and set aside while you make the guacamole.
5. For the guacamole, simply blend or mash the avocado flesh until you achieve the consistency you desire (some like it smooth, others prefer it a little chunky).
6. Season with fresh lime juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Cover and set aside.
8. To cook the shrimp, heat the olive oil in the same pan used to toast the fennel seeds and fry the prawns until they turn pink.
9. Slice your zested orange in half and deglaze the pan with the juice from both halves.
10. Cook until the orange juice cooks out and evaporates, approximately 4-5 minutes.
11. Serve the shrimp with the guacamole alongside and garnish the whole lot with sliced red chili, chopped cilantro, and a generous scattering of sea salt flakes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 1,260mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 32g