Cream of mushroom soup is an essential ingredient here in Minnesota, we put it in EVERYTHiNG! But the canned stuff from the store has some less than savory ingredients. So I decided to come up with a healthy version of my own. You can make this ahead in large batches and can it or freeze it, so it can be used in a pinch.
Rich and packed with umami flavor, a comforting bowl of mushroom soup will always hit the spot. Double up the recipe if you are cooking for more than two people, or divide the mixture into four mugs and enjoy this as a lovely cup of soup lunch option – with a grain-free bread roll!
Rich and packed with flavor, a comforting bowl of mushroom soup will hit the spot during the cold months.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan or wok and add the onions, cooking over moderate heat until softened.
- Tip in the mushrooms and paprika and stir continuously until the mushrooms soften and start to caramelize.
- Pour in the chicken stock and reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and leave for 10 minutes.
- Remove 2-3 little mushrooms to use as garnish (if desired) and set aside. Use a stick blender to blitz the mixture as smooth as possible. If it is too thick for your liking, add a dash of water. If it is too thin, place the pan back on the heat and leave to reduce (uncovered) for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir through the cream and allow to warm through, tasting the mixture and adjusting the seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed.
- To serve, divide between two warm bowls and top with a dollop of soured cream and the mushroom garnish. Finish with snipped chives.
Learn to make your own homemade bone broth here.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 510mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g