This is a great way to enjoy fried shrimp and chicken pieces without worrying about gluten. I promise you won’t even notice the difference! You will love the interesting pineapple salsa served alongside, but this is entirely optional.
This is a great gluten-free way to enjoy fried shrimp and chicken pieces with the tasty flavors of coconut and lime!
- For the mustard pineapple ‘salsa’:
- 3.5 oz fresh pineapple, diced small
- ½ Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Pinch dried chili flakes
- For the fried shrimp and chicken:
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup full-fat milk
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Sea salt
- 7 oz skinless, deboned chicken breasts (we use Butcher Box meat)
- 7 oz peeled, raw large shrimp
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 lime, to finish
- Parsley or cilantro, chopped to garnish
1. Start with the salsa. Simply combine the chopped pineapple, wholegrain mustard, lime zest, and chili flakes. Set aside.
2. Toast the coconut flakes in a dry pan over moderate heat until lightly golden. Remove and set aside.
4. With the skinless, deboned chicken breasts, slice them into thinner, even-sized strips. This will ensure even cooking (aim for the same thickness of the prawns).
5. Add the thin chicken pieces and prawns to the thick batter mixture and stir well to coat. Add the toasted coconut mixture and mix gently to coat.
6. Heat the oil (enough to deep-fry) in a pan. Once very hot, add pieces of chicken and prawn to the hot oil and cook until they are golden and cooked through. I advise this is done in two-three batches so as not to over-crowd the pan. An overcrowded pan of oil will lose heat and the pieces will not cook golden as they should.
7. Season the crispy pieces with the pineapple salsa. Season with salt if needed and scatter over chopped parsley or cilantro.
If you purchase from Perfect Supplements, use coupon code REALFOOD10 for 10% off your entire order!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 430mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 24g