This is a lovely vegetarian burger patty! And, in the spirit of keeping things as low in carbs as possible, you can serve them on a bed of lettuce and make bunless burgers. Serve with tomatoes and a drizzle of homemade mayonnaise if you prefer. (The macros are shown per patty and do not include the lettuce, tomatoes, or mayonnaise.)
- Be sure to rinse the drained beans very well, then swish them around in the sieve to remove all excess moisture. We dry them out further in the oven, but doing this over the sink gives it a good head-start.
- Unlike meat, you can taste the raw mixture before shaping it into patties and adjust it with more seasoning if you feel it needs it.
Your search for delicious veggie burgers is over! These hearty burgers are not only nutritious but are also loaded with flavor and high in fiber (8 g). Enjoy them on a gluten-free bun, or keep them low-carb with lettuce wraps.
- 8.1 oz black beans, drained
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup carrot, grated
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 TB ground chia seeds
- 1oz gluten-free oats
- 1 TB tamari
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus additional drizzle to fry
- Lettuce, tomatoes, and mayonnaise to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
- Spread the drained beans out on a large tray and place them in the oven for several minutes (no more than 10 minutes) until they are dry and just starting to roast.
- Place the beans into a food processor along with the remaining ingredients and pulse until broken down and slightly smoother – but retaining some texture. In other words, you don’t want a paste. Adjust the seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Form 4 equal portions from the mixture and use clean hands to shape them into patties.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the patties over medium-high heat until golden and caramelized on all sides, approximately 5 minutes in total.
- Sprinkle on some salt flakes and serve over lettuce (with tomatoes and a drizzle of mayonnaise if you like!)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 440mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 8gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g