Growing up, I have a few memories of being sick. But, I was generally very healthy. One memory that really stands out in my mind was the use of garlic oil to help ear infections. The reason why this stands out in my mind is because it was so miraculous! It was almost instant relief, in my experience. So, when I noticed my little guy digging in his ear all day until it turned bright red I knew I had to make up some of this magic garlic oil. It still works like magic!
Why this stuff works:
- Coconut oil: Studies show that coconut oil is anti-microbial, the fatty acids in the coconut oil actually break down the cell membranes of bacteria, thus killing them. Another study explains that coconut oil is more effective than some anti-fungals at fighting candida, making it antifungal too. So, this stuff will kill the bad bugs that are causing issues in the ear!
- Garlic: Allicin, a compound in garlic, was found to exhibit antibacterial activity against a wide range of Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, including multidrug-resistant enterotoxicogenic strains of Escherichia coli. It also has antifungal activity, particularly against Candida albicans, antiparasitic activity, including some major human intestinal protozoan parasites such as Entamoeba histolytica and Giardia lamblia, and antiviral activity. (source)
Garlic Oil For Ear Infections
- In a small saucepan, combine the oil and garlic cloves
- Bring to a simmer, and allow to bubble for about 20 minutes, don’t let the garlic burn!
- Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool
- Strain off the garlic
- Slowly pour the oil into the dropper bottle
- Store at room temperature
- Makes about 2 ounces
How to use:
- Tilt your head to the side and squirt a dropper full of warm oil into your ear
- I warm it by running the dropper under warm water when its full of oil
- Allow it to rest for about 5 to 10 minutes
- You can gently massage the lymph node area under your ear to get it to go further inside, or pull on your ear lobe a bit
- After 10 minutes, turn your ear onto a cloth or paper towel so it can drain out
- Do this as needed, you can do it multiple times per day. I know people who do this daily!
- Label your bottle too!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe