I have been shopping around for the perfect essential oil pendant diffuser necklace for some time now. When I finally found the perfect one, wouldn't ya know it, they were sold out! I kept checking back, but boy these are popular! So, I decided to try making my own. For a fraction of the cost of one necklace, I am able to make a ton of them at home. Plus, my kids are obsessed with helping me make them!
The great part about these necklaces is that you do not need to carry your oils around with you all day. The scent lasts for hours and whenever you need an extra boost, just put it up to your nose and take a deep inhale. Your body heat keeps it constantly emitting a nice aroma. Kids can wear them to school too, my daughter loves to wear Joy on her necklace!
Pendant Diffuser Necklace How-to:
What you need:
- Terra Cotta Air Dry Clay — where to find
- Silpat — where to find (makes any surface non-stick!)
- Rolling pin (I find this kind to be the easiest to use)
- Cookie cutters, small ones about the size of a silver dollar
- Stampers — like these
- 1 Skewer Stick
- String, leather strips or necklace chain
- On your Silpat, roll out a ball of clay using your rolling pin
- Roll the clay until it is 1/3″ thick, if they are too thin they become brittle when dry
- Using your cookie cutters, cut into circles or fun shapes
- Using stampers, make pretty impressions into your pendant — careful not to press too hard, you just want a light impression. My kids love to help with this part!
- Using your skewer stick, poke a small hole in the top for your necklace string
- To make the beads, just roll clay into balls and poke holes through them
- Allow to dry, undisturbed, for 2-3 days. If you try to use them earlier, they will break — believe me we learned this lesson over and over (my kids were way too excited to wait 2 days!)
- Once completely dried, put your string of choice on them to wear as a necklace
How to use:
- Add your oils of choice by dropping a few drops onto the pendant and waiting about 30 seconds until it soaks in
- When applying the essential oil to your pendant, lay it down flat on a table so it does not drip all over
- Make sure the oil is fully absorbed into the terra cotta before using so it won’t stain clothing
- The scent lasts for hours!
- You can also hang them on your car, on lamps on your bedside table, anywhere that needs a little extra scent
Note: do not let these pendants get really wet (ex: wearing swimming or leaving outside on the sandbox ledge while its raining — they will get mushy, again another lesson learned). They will also crack if thrown at someone or stepped on, not that my kids did that or anything.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE 21-day essential oil email class, to learn the basics.
- Join my Real Food RN Essential Oils Facebook Group to connect with others and share tips and recipes for DIY, beauty, cleaning and much more.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail prices (and get freebies from me!)
CLICK HERE to Pin this post