I grew up eating lefse during the holidays and it was always a favorite treat. We have been gluten-free for years now and I decided it was time to come up with a grain free version of this holiday favorite. This recipe took a bit of work, but it was worth it because these grain free lefse are delicious!
Grain Free Lefse
- 6 cups potatoes (cooked and riced or pureed)
- 1 stick grass-fed butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups cassava flour, plus more for dusting — where to find
First, some tips: your potatoes have to be either riced or pureed, there can be NO lumps. I do not have a ricer, so I pureed them in my food processor. Second, you really need some of the special Lefse making equipment. Namely: the griddle, the lefse stick, and the lefse mat. These assure that your lefse is made to perfecti0n! HERE is a kit that has everything needed.
- Here is how I prepared my potatoes: boiled, mashed, pureed –> perfecti0n
- Combine potatoes, butter, cream, and salt together in a large mixing bowl
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or overnight
- Once well chilled, stir in the flour
- Divide dough into balls about 1.5″ across, depending on how large you want your lefse
- Heat a griddle to 350°F
- Generously flour your work surface
- Put your sleeve on your rolling pin and dust that with flour
- Roll dough very thin, like 1/8″
- Using your lefse stick, gently lift your dough off the work surface and place it onto the hot griddle
- Let it cook about 2 minutes, then use your lefse stick to flip the dough
- Place in on a lefse mat and cover with another lefse mat (this keeps them from drying out)
- Continue until all of your dough balls are used up
- Store in a plastic bag in the fridge
- Serve with your favorite filling. We love butter, cinnamon, and sugar!
- IMPORTANT: to reheat and serve, warm them up in a dry skillet on medium-high heat. It will soften them. Otherwise they will be very brittle and won’t roll up well
- This recipe makes 50, because I share these with friends and family over the holidays
My kids LOVE their grain free lefse!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share on “Grain Free Lefse” Google+