Nothing says cozy like a cup of hot chocolate and a warm blanket on a cold winters night. Hot chocolate has been one of my favorite treats ever since I was little. Only, the stuff I drank back then came from a packet and contained cute little mini marshmallows. What’s not so cute? The processed sugars and chemical additives that were in those packets!
I wanted to get the comforts of hot chocolate without all the junk. It would also be pretty cool if this hot chocolate was actually good for me too! I came up with a hot chocolate that is not only creamy and delicious but also has some health-giving benefits! I made it a dairy-free hot chocolate because coconut milk is full of healthy fats! You can use the milk of your choice, we either use coconut milk or whole raw milk.
Why is this healthy?
- Coconut milk: full of lauric acid that is both antiviral and antibacterial. It’s also full of healthy fats and antioxidants!
- Cocoa powder: full of antioxidants and some studies have shown that it can actually have an antidepressant effect (I guess this is why I LOVE chocolate!)
- Sea Salt: full of minerals
- Honey: Also is antibacterial and anti-fungal. Full of antioxidants. Honey has been used medicinally for many, many years!
Get all the comforts of hot chocolate without all the junk. It also has lots of healthy fats and health benefits.
2. Over low-medium heat warm the milk, whisking continuously, until it starts to bubble gently.
3. Remove from heat and stir in honey.
4. Sprinkle with some coconut flakes or shaved chocolate.....or if you're really looking for a treat top it with coconut whipped cream (recipe below).
Coconut whipped cream: (HERE is a video that I made showing how to make this)
- 1 container coconut cream — where to find
- 1 whipped cream dispenser — where to find
- Pour coconut cream into dispenser and chill in the fridge for a few hours
- Shake the dispenser very well and dispense
- Voila! You don’t even need to add sweetener!