My cauliflower mac and cheese recipe is a great recipe where we have made a gluten-free Cauliflower Bake a little more substantial by adding in precooked gluten-free pasta, making six satisfying portions when served with a salad alongside. You could look at it that way – or you could see it as a sneaky way to incorporate vegetables into your kids’ mac and cheese – Cauliflower Mac and Cheese!
If you choose to omit the pasta, this would be a great side dish to serve with your Sunday roast. If doing so, simply replace the pasta with an additional head of cauliflower and follow the recipe just the same.
The caramelizing of the onions takes some time and patience, but the additional dimension of flavor it adds makes it totally worth it! It may seem like there are many steps in the method, but in reality, most of the elements can be on the stove at the same time.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 200g uncooked gluten-free pasta, shape of your choice
- 1 tsp olive oil, to coat the pasta
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1.4 oz unsalted butter
- 2 TB corn flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper
- 6.5 oz strong Cheddar, grated, for the sauce
- 3 oz strong Cheddar, grated, for the top
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the cauliflower into even-sized florets. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the cauliflower for 10-12 minutes. Be careful not to overcook them, they should still retain a bite and hold their shape well. Drain and set aside.
- At the same time, boil the pasta in a pan of salted boiling water. When al dente, drain and set aside in a bowl. Toss with one teaspoon olive oil to prevent them sticking together. Cover and set aside.
- Heat the tablespoon olive oil in a pan and soften the onions gently over a low heat. Once softened completely, increase the heat to moderate and add the garlic. Stirring continuously over the moderate heat, the onion mixture will caramelize and darken. Remove and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F, then start the white sauce. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the cornflour.
- Whisk until there are no lumps (this is best done using a silicon whisk) then add the almond milk.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and white pepper, add cook while stirring continuously for at least 10-15 minutes to allow the cornflour to cook out and the sauce to thicken sufficiently.
- Once the sauce has thickened to a white sauce consistency, add the first mention of grated Cheddar and remove from the heat. Stir well to melt the cheese completely.
- Combine the cooked cauliflower, cooked pasta, caramelized onion mixture and the cheese sauce in a large bowl. Tip into a greased roasting dish and scatter over the second mention of grated Cheddar evenly over the top. Place in the oven for 15-18 minutes, increasing the temperature to MAX in the last 3-4 minutes to achieve a golden cheese crust.
- Remove and top with sliced spring onions and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Your Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is ready to enjoy!
Find gluten-free pasta here.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448 Total Fat: 26.7g Saturated Fat: 14.2g Sodium: 1mg Carbohydrates: 33.1g Fiber: 3.5g Sugar: 4.7g Protein: 17.1g