Deeply rich, this alfredo sauce is delicious and served with gluten-free pasta or over shirataki noodles (as pictured) if you are living very low carb. It could even be served over grilled fish or chicken! It couldn’t be easier, and at the same time, you will learn a little about tempering eggs. Please note that the macros are based on the sauce alone – which will be enough for 4 people.
A classic Italian sauce that is creamy, delicious, and perfect over pasta, fish, or chicken. Skip the store-bought stuff with questionable ingredients and make your own at home in less than 30 minutes!
- Place the butter, cream, and Parmesan into a large, non-stick pan. Place on moderately low heat until the butter has melted, and the cream is starting to warm through.
- In the meantime, whisk the egg yolks in a little bowl.
- Once the creamy mixture is warm, remove it from the heat and whisk one tablespoon of it into the bowl of egg yolks. Once combined, add another tablespoon. Repeat this process until you have added about 10 tablespoons. This is not unlike making custard.
- Add the creamy eggs into the pan and mix well with the cream mixture. Return to moderately low heat and cook for 10-12 minutes until the sauce thickens. You should not experience any ‘scrambling’ of the eggs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine with your cooked pasta of choice and divide between 4 warm bowls. Top with a pinch of cayenne pepper and garnish generously with chopped chives.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 670Total Fat: 71gSaturated Fat: 43gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 175mgSodium: 120mgCarbohydrates: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g