I grew up fishing in the land of 10,000 lakes with my Gramps. We had so much fun reeling them in, and then my grandma would fry them up and we would eat our catch. She typically used flour and butter, and I wanted to come up with a recipe that does not use flour.
So I decided to try some spices instead! Such a simple idea! I used paprika to dust the fish before frying, but if you try smoked paprika – it will pack an even punchier flavor. Do not omit the herb garnishes at the end, these are essential flavors to enhance the sauce. Regarding the fish, use the cleanest you can get your hands on; wild and sustainable is preferable. I used haddock, but halibut would work equally well.
A delicious quick and easy meal for a simple weekday dinner when you don't have a lot of time to cook.
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- Generous pinch sea salt
- 2 white fish fillets of your choice (approx. 5 oz)
- 3 TB unsalted grass-fed butter
- ½ medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Pinch white pepper
- Small handful basil, leaves finely sliced
- Small handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to garnish
- Lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
2. Remove the fish from its packaging and dust the spice mix over both sides. Set aside.
4. Melt the remaining butter in the same pan and fry the onions over low heat until they soften and start to caramelize. Pour in the sour cream and heavy cream. Add a generous pinch of salt and white pepper.
5. Continue to cook over moderately low heat until the sauce thickens and reduces. Keep stirring to avoid the mixture splitting.
6. Serve the warm fish with the sauce and garnish with plenty of sliced basil and chopped parsley. Don’t forget about the generous squeeze of lemon juice which will bring the dish together if you feel it needs it. Season further with salt, if needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 850Total Fat: 77gSaturated Fat: 47gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 440mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 30g